CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #11
Mark Miller

Profile:
Re: Bullhooey in the Fitness Industry

Steven I worked at a gym which was only concerned about $$$$. Everytime they tried to get me to follow their programming I went along with the initial "training class" and then as soon as I was with my client I was back to having them doing squats with pvc pipe, and attempting pullups. Last time I checked you are the trainer. Train your clients as you see necessary to get them to lose the weight and increase their functionality. Ditch the balls and stability disk and get them moving, lots of movement. Least we not forget the diet portion. You may not be a nutritionist and prescribe a diet but you can look at what they are eating and tell them what is crap and what isn't.

My 2 cnents.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
Steven Quadros

Profile:

I love this community, you guys are singlehandedly saving my faith in this industry. Please keep the replies coming, as this is already a source of encouragement for me, and might be for other trainers.

I learned yesterday that sometimes I just need to shut my mouth, show the management that I can do what they want me to do, and then just do what I need to do to get my client happy and healthy, as well as keep me from feeling like a cheap salesman and regurgitator of horrible information.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
Rohan Sookdeo

Profile:

Steven,
I am by no means a trainer. But I have been that guy who wanted to lose lots of weight and have better health. So I am going to give a customers perspective. I went to a gym for about 4 months at my college which was populated by machines. I Ran the ellipticals, used all the machines. and saw no results. I got discouraged and stopped. I made time for everything else because if i don't see results its not worth it. I was discouraged for years till i looked in the mirror one day and wondered what the hell happened. I started the "mens health" routine and saw some progress but then it stopped. this time I was determined and found crossfit and read a few of Dr. Sears Books. I could not do a pullup or even deadlift half my bodyweight. Now I can do pullups and dl more than my body weight. I saw progress and continued and the results are still coming (I started cf a little over 9 months ago and have lost 65 lbs went from waist size 38-40 to 34).

I have alot of freinds who have attended globo gyms and do the latest and greatest diet and never see results then they waste money by not going to the gym because they get discouraged and put on more weight. They are slowly coming to me for advice.

Use yourself as a walking billboard. And give the customer what they deserve once one customer sees results and they continue working with you, they will tell a freind and the chain begins. Then if you decide to venture out on your own and become an cf affiliate those customers will more than likely follow because they saw results. Recommend they read The Zone or Visit the website in the in the first week because as I found nutrition is key. It for some people can be a drastic change from the norm. Because its not only a physical thing but mental as well so you may have to ease them into it (dont want to break them). But as so many on this forum can attest to its a lifestyle change that will only help.

Following the Globo gym model is the worst thing you can do if you want to continue working in the fitness field. In the long run the customer loses money, ambition and faith in you as a trainer. You lose a customer as well as your reputation is being compromised.
Hope this helps
CF + The Zone = Results
Old 03-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #14
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Quadros View Post
I want them to be able to leave me and work out, and if that makes me a ****ty trainer, so be it, though, to be honest, I will also have shown them the value, by introduing variety and being motivating and fun, of a personal trainer.
I'd start looking for a new gym just in case. A good friend of mine used to be a trainer at Gold's and he thought a lot like you. He wanted to be a good trainer, not a good salesman and people liked that. Only problem is if you get too many clients one month I guess you don't really have time to train many new ones the following month. So they fired him. If you become too good at training people you might not be welcome there for very long. I'd check around for a gym that actually embraces fitness.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #15
Michele Weeks

Profile:

Steven,
I'm a personal trainer, but have never worked for a McGym. I've always worked for myself and truly believe you can get a full workout using your own body and simple equipment. I train my clients in their homes. Then I found CrossFit, a philosophy that meshes with my own, about 1 month ago.

I've always used the basic CF exercises (not knowing they were CF) with my clients -- everyone of them doing squats, lunges, pushups, etc. -- regardless of body type or fitness level. All of these exercises can be modified to keep it suitable and interesting. As you probably see with yourself and I certainly find with myself -- I love the challenge of learning a new exercise, getting better at it, building confidence with it, and then aiming towards perfection. Mastery builds confidence which allows your client to want to build upon what they have become good at. CrossFit is a never-ending learning process. I don't think you'll have a problem coming up with new things to keep it interesting.

Good luck with your clients. I know you'll do a great job for them.
Michele
Old 03-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #16
Michele Weeks

Profile:

Steven,
Have you checked out CrossFit Brooklyn at the Lyceum?

Looks like a great facility and you'll find lots of like-minded trainers.

Michele
Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #17
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Wow, Rohan and Michele, you guys are incredibly encouraging! I'm definitely not going to give in, though I will practice shutting up and saying "yes, I understand" when my fool of a boss "demonstrates" things to me.

Matt, I will definitely be looking for another job too, though the club in which I work has me starting at a level where I don't really have to train more than a few people right now, and ramping that up as I progress. They also tend to have a lot of new members joining, so customers shouldn't be a problem. That being said, I hate the philosophy enough to realize this is not the place I'll be working for the rest of my life, so I'm constantly looking for new opportunities, especially with trying to incorporate my love for writing with my love of fitness.

Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:10 AM   #18
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Weeks View Post
Steven,
Have you checked out CrossFit Brooklyn at the Lyceum?

Looks like a great facility and you'll find lots of like-minded trainers.

Michele
I am definitely going to check out CF Brooklyn; the problem is, however, that I need a job, not an expense. I doubt that they have either the extra income or the desire to hire someone brand new to the fitness industry, even though I'm almost obnoxiously driven. That being said, one never knows until they try, so I'll give them a visit and see what comes of it.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #19
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Quadros View Post
Hey all, is anyone here a personal trainer? I am one at a globo gym, and quickly losing my patience. Today, among other things, I was told to "forget everything I've ever read" about fitness, because it was all worthless inside that gym. I need to start people off on things like the nautilus leg press because there are people who can't squat- not even in a shortened range of motion. I argued that everyone needs to sit or go to the bathroom, to which I was told that some people use diapers and others still go to the bathroom standing up into a bucket.

The company is big on NASM and bosu balls, and swiss balls. I guess my question is for trainers here who use crossfit.

What would some of you use to train people who were so weak, old, injured, fat, or otherwise physically untrained that you had to start at square one with them while still not giving in to making them use a ton of machines and doing silly swiss ball movements?

I'm basically hoping to avoid having to quit my job, because I love working with people, but hate all this silly bullhooey that I'm supposed to use to "sell myself." If I can't sell myself being straight up and honest about what I believe, I'd rather be in another industry.
Just tell the boss "yes sir, will do sir" and do what you know needs to be done.

That being said, people who are so incredibly either fat or weak that they can't do even the most basic things (like do anything resembling a squat), you are not training them, you are rehabbing them. And there's specific tools for those, and personally, if someone were THAT bad, I'd send them to a physical therapist first, and let them deal with their issues, then when they're able to at least move their body in some semblance of a real motion, then you can start training them.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #20
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Hence why im going into business for myself.. so few gyms that actually care for health and wellness over money.

Steven, have you thought about slowly training people outside the gym in their own homes or at a nearby park? a lot of Affiliates actually start out that way.