CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
David Johnsson

Profile:
crossfit for my mom!

Hey everybody, I'm a born-again cross-fitter trying to convince my moms to start with some sort of crossfit like exercising. Thing is she has a PT she sees once a month, that in my opinion is scaming her because she gives hur these lame-*** asignments that doesent even cuase a swet.

When I talk about crossfit she sees it as something for "the young". She's 64 and also has highblood pressure and diabetes so there probly is some concern to be taken to that but not enough that she can't do crossfit exercisses.
Her main concern is that she gon have a heart-attack attempting it.

So my q is how can I convince her to get into crossfit? Is there crossfit for "the elderly" (although I would'nt consider my mom beeing in that category)? Besides from the high bloodpressure, diabetes and the slight overwieght she has no health issues.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Stephen Baker

Profile:
Re: crossfit for my mom!

I train my my with scaled CF currnetly. She is 59, has no thyroid, and has always had chronic back problems. My suggestion is to really introduce your mom to the rower. Mine loves the thing. I started her off really slowly.

Also, she actually like the 10lb kettlebell and light push presses. I sub cable rows and pulldowns for pull ups, and sub door frame push ups for regular push ups.

It's major scaling, but it's way better than chest press machines and treadmill walking.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

Show her the videos on the main site of people who said they wanted to stop being "old".

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C..._ScaledWOD.wmv

Ya, Mary is amazing. Search for her story, you'll be amazed at how much CrossFit changed her life.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Ron Haskins

Profile:

Agree with the above two, I have a 70 yo female client that comes to CFCV 2-3 times per week "to get her heart rate up". It's amazing how well she's done/improved with some scaled moves. Two days ago she rowed 1000m straight and then did her workout straight through without stopping. Both pr's for her. Frank DiMeo might have some inout on this one.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
David Johnsson

Profile:

My main consern however is there any DANGER to crossfit for somebody who's diabetic, overwieght and has high bloodpressure to go outside their comforte zone, to push it to the max?
Because I do get that people from all walks of life get into crossfit however, is there any real danger for heart failure or anything like that due to her medical conditions and age?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Jennifer Bland

Profile:

With the scaled workouts, there should not be any problem for her to do crossfit. Is her Diabetes under control? With the workouts, she will need to monitor her diabetes very closely and make sure she is eating appropriately. It is always a good idea to bring her doctor involved. Some doctors may not know what CF is, so bring some information about it.....many times, you will need to educate the doctor in order for her to be monitored correctly.

I have hypoglycemia (opposite of diabetes) and ever since I have been doing CF, I have had ZERO problems with my blood sugar. I still test my sugar and I listen to my body about what it needs for fuel.

Diet and exercise really does fix most health issues.

Jenn
Old 04-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
Sybille Bargeron

Profile:

Hi! I'm a new CrossFitter, and a Grandma...Only 45 going on 46. I have highblood pressure and diabetes. I currently weigh in at 202...was 249 July 2007.

I started Crossfit in January 2008. My first attempts were funny-I fell off the rowng machine the first day...the Second time I missed the box on the box jumps and fell on my tail. First it was only 2 days one week then 1 day the next. Now I try to do Crossfit EVERY time I go to the Y-which is usually M-T-Thur. I have a workout buddy who is also about my same age. When we work out, it is HARD, TOUGH, and REWARDING! I experienced PUKIE after rowing hard for 2:36 min 500 meters, my first time. The other day we did a Tabatia on the Treadmil; incline 12 and speed from 4.5-5 mph, got kind sick, but felt GREAT about 15 minutes later. (we have scaled some of the work outs to our needs)

What I love about Crossfit is that you can do your 15-30 mins and you've had a complete work out, not to sore until the next day. I found that if you drink plenty of H2O the soreness goes away more quickly.

As for my highblood pressure and diabetes- I hope to be OFF of those meds in August 2008. Blood sugar a1c is around 5 and blood pressure has been "Normal" for the past 6 months!

So get your mom moving.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Show her the videos on the main site of people who said they wanted to stop being "old".

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C..._ScaledWOD.wmv

Ya, Mary is amazing. Search for her story, you'll be amazed at how much CrossFit changed her life.
That's a great video George, I've just sent it to my Dad who I'm trying to get to go (with my Mum) to the local Crossfit Affiliate that's just opened in Reading, UK. They are both in their mid 60's.

Anyone got any more similar material (I'm not finding it on the main site)?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:25 AM   #9
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Hi David--
I'm 57, and do the WODs regularly.
I have clients up to 80 years old that are doing elements of the wODs (they are still pretty new).
Scaling the workouts is the key.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #10
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Frank, would you mind taking us through a very scaled version of a WOD, or something you might do with an older client, who lacks balance for squatting (or maybe can only get into a half squat), and the strength for pull ups and push ups.

I've been working with a 70 year old woman, and must say she is an absolute delight to work with, and very willing to do what it takes to get in shape. I'm sure working with athletes is great, but few things beat something as simple seeming as helping this woman more confidently tackle stairs.