CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
Doug Brubacher

Profile:
I appear to be susceptible to this injury. Wondering if sending in a video of my DL form would reveal anything.

Last night I did CFWUx3 and DLs of
5x45,5x135, and then 1's of
225-255-275-295-315-315 then tried for PR of 325.
That last rep got me!

I usually do a warm down of lighter DLs afterwards too.

I had resigned a while back to max my DLs at 315, but with the introduction of CFT I'm now motivated to go for more.

I also pulled a lower back muscle doing the round of 8 DLs 2 or 3 Linda's ago.

Looking for any suggestions for how to avoid.
Note: My version of CFWUx3 includes several leg/groin stretches each round as well.
I'm guessing I have significant scar tissue built up by age 42 having had a number of these muscle pulls over the years.
My flexibility is okay though, generally not a problem getting well past my toes, but can't touch my head to my knees any longer (could do that as a martial artist in my teens).

Suggestions appreciated.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
More glut ham raises and posterior chain exercies...my guess is that is where your weak areas lie in rounding off that lower lumbar area due to weakness.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Doug Brubacher

Profile:
My gym doesn't have a GHD machine, I assume this would require that.
They do have a "roman chair" or at least that's what I think it's called.
I use those as part of the warm-up, for back extensions as well as the WODs that call for that.
Is there some other exercise you can suggest with the equipment I have access to or are you just suggesting I do more back extensions on the "roman chair"?
Old 02-24-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Good Mornings could also be used to strengthen the posterior chain....that and A to A front (*ss to ankles) squats work it well also.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
also go to www.jumpstretch.com and see all the traction videos...also those bands are great for assisted stretching....

link sfw probably
Old 02-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Profile:
-pull throughs
-good mornings
-romanian deadlifts
-glute ham raises are possible if a feet holder is availiable along with a little padding on the floor.

Focus on keeping your lumbar spine arched but don't overarch (sounds complicated eh?)

As for flexibility:
I'd recommend a dynamic warmup I've been doing different variations of these for the past year and I feel like these definitely make a difference.

I personally like the routine outlined in the book Core Performance it's called movement prep and prehab. You might be able to find a copy of the book at your local library if not I know there is stuff online you can find also.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:01 AM   #7
Burton Webb

Profile:
Allen is correct about Vestergen's book. Knees to elbows may be an exercise that you may not look at for strengthening your DL, but I saw some gains after including this in my training.The deep abdominal contraction also gave me a better feel for what goes on during the DL. }}
Old 03-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
Doug Brubacher

Profile:
I find Allen's comment about overarching interesting, as I looked at my profile in the mirror and wondered about exactly that. I resumed workouts with the warm-up and some light OHS last night and was surprised that situps were much more uncomfortable than back-extensions (situps on inclined bench with feet anchored, back exts on romain chair).

Can you give me more information about "dynamic warmups"? I'll check the library for the book over the weekend.

Also, of the 4 exercises Allen mentions, I'm only familiar with "good mornings". I'm familar with the GHD "bench" but not sure what you're suggesting as a substitute on the floor.

Thanks much!
Doug
Old 03-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #9
Doug Brubacher

Profile:
Searching the Web: Romanian DLs
Is this really the only difference?
"Remember, there is a difference between Romanian deadlifts and full deadlifts. Romanian deadlifts do not require you to set the bar down on the floor between reps. Lower the bar to just below your knees."
http://www.muscletech.com/TRAINING/H...GS/index.shtml
Old 03-01-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
Doug Brubacher

Profile:
Allen, found the others exercises on the web as well. So I guess I'm just interested in more information about "dynamic warmups" if you have time.

Thanks.