CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #11
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: Strength gains

61# squat gains in 7 weeks = 3# per Squat lift. Great outcome.

Great post,

Totally agree.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #12
Chris Mason

Profile:

The truth is that if you train properly you can gain a very high level of absolute strength very quickly. Pure CF WODs are not going to make you strong at the powerlifts. You will have to do some strength specific training to realize that goal. If you cannot Rx WODs it is primarily due to a lack of absolute strength. You should embark on a training phase which prioritizes absolute strength and maintains, to the degree possible, conditioning.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #13
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:

David

Thanks for the post makes a lot of sense. I have a 1 rm back squat tomorrow so we will see how that goes. Anyway I'm 5'11.5" tall and am definitely not opposed to gaining weight. As a matter a fact I recently got on a protein and am taking it daily w extra on days I workout. Any good advice on gaining weight easily? This is actually the heaviest I've ever been always been a hard gainer. Other than drinking a gallon of milk a day.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:01 AM   #14
David Meverden

Profile:

How'd the max go, Phil?

Regarding weight gain there are varying levels of effort. Easiest, but not very effective for hard gainers, is to just try to eat more. On the high effort side is to track all your food intakes and adjust calories as necessary. This will give the best results long term as it gives you a lot of data and allows for a large degree of control.

If you aren't inclined to track your calories then I suggest a planned supplement to your regular diet. A little more formal than just "try to eat more" but not time consuming. Liquid calories are easiest here, which is why the milk works well. You could try adding a quart of whole milk a day on to what you normally eat and see if your weight starts going up. Or you could add a couple of large shakes a day. Milk and protein powder might cut it, though if you really are a hard gainer then you'll probably need to mix in some mass gainer powder or added ingredients like peanut butter and oats.

So, I guess that's my advice if you don't want to count calories. Take 2 shakes on workout days, one in the middle of the day and one after working out, and one or two shakes on rest days. And start taking creatine monohydrate every day if you aren't now (it's cheap, safe, and effective for helping to build muscle).
Old 12-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #15
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:

Sorry to just reply. My max was ok I guess same as last time which i guess is good since I had been struggling to get in the gym for a few weeks before.

Thanks for the advice will take it and form a plan for some weight gain
Old 12-13-2015, 07:12 AM   #16
Chris Mason

Profile:

Another answer to your initial question, given the right heredity you can get very strong very fast. Sure, to be the best of the best it can take years, but an average Joe can get to within 10-15% of their drug free strength potential (we are talking about an adult here) within 1-2 years. If you are not doing that, and strength is a goal, you are not training properly.