CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Ben Allen

Profile:
home gym flooring

I am looking to buy some flooring for my home gym and before i spend the money I am looking for a second opinion.

The first ones are Solid rubber stable matts usually between 12 and 18mm thick and the come in 4ft by 3 ft sheets. These look like they would last a good while and i know from looking through the messege board that they are well liked. similar to this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RUBBER-S.....286.c0.m14

My other choice are these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI.....Q:GB:1123.
they workout around the same price as the solid rubber but look like they would give a little more cushioning. My only concern is they will not last as long because they are crumb and when performing burpees etc they would fall apart.

any advice or comments would be great.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
Pam Munson

Profile:
Re: home gym flooring

Ben,

I couldn't get the second link to work but I'm going to answer anyway.

We've used the stall mats for 2 years, first in our garage gym and now in our facility. For movements that might require some cush we have the cheaper, bright colored (red, blue, yellow & green) puzzle mats that are advertised for kids play areas. Both types of matting have held up to their intended use and have been cost effective.

The only complaint we've had on the stall mats is that we didn't get the puzzle version and a couple (out of 40+) of them have curled up at the edges.

Good luck with your gym!
Pam
Old 09-11-2008, 12:42 AM   #3
Jeff Yan

Profile:

I agree. For the areas where you don't need heavy duty stuff and are looking for something more forgiving on the body, you can save money by buying those multi-colored jigsaw tiles.

I picked up packs of 8 2'x2' squares from BJ's Wholesale for $20. The gray/black jigsaw mats that are sold at the big chain general sporting goods stores sell in packs of only 4 2'x2' squares for the same price.

The more expensive jigsaw tiles are marketed specifically for home gym use and do seem nicer and more appropriate for exercise as the foam seems to be of higher density.

The cheaper multi-colored ones are softer and are primarily marketed for playing children and other household uses, although it is mentioned that they can be used for exercise. The fact that they are softer makes them more comfortable to lie down/do sit ups on, however if you place a dense weight such as a dumbbell down on it and leave it there for a while, the foam takes a while to reshape/decompress/undent itself.

Another thing, the multi-colored tiles are ugly and will make your exercise room look like a toddler's play area.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:30 AM   #4
Ron Hoover

Profile:

Plus the fact that multi-color tiles get really dingy-looking after just a short while, unless you make it your life's work to clean them regularly.

That's the thing I notice about the multi-color tiles - they look great new - 6 months in, not so much.

Stall mats don't have that problem.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:29 AM   #5
Stephen Foster

Profile:

I wouldn't like to have a soft cushy floor under me when I am working out. I prefer a firm floor. Firm rubber mats are good, but I don't like working on the soft padding. I've worked out on soft floors and I really don't like it.

If I wanted soft and cushy, (which I don't) I would probably put a layer of roofing felt over the concrete (overlap the edges by about six inches) and then cover that with a layer of plywood. I would finish it with thick carpet padding and an indoor/outdoor carpet or maybe berber carpeting.

I don't know how the carpet padding and carpeting would work on the concrete without the plywood, but it might be fine. Either way, I don't think I would mess with all that puzzle padding though. I would rather workout on bare concrete than soft, cushy padding.

Each to his own though.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Tim Crawford

Profile:

I'm trying to score some of the floor 'padding' left over at the gym on the military base, which they have rolled up in a corner. This feels like compressed rubber padding, providing some soft padding, but not giving a 'squishy' feel.