CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Meredith Launius

Profile:
Push up challenge for my members

I am thinking of doing a push up challenge for my members...this is what I thought so far....Begin date in July sometime, I would begin a 90 day push ups challenge..one push up the first day, 2 the second day, 3 the third etc...I would offer participation prizes for 15 day intervals, so 15 days completed ( and they stopped there) you could win a coffee mug with our logo, 30 days completed and ended maybe a free clothing item, 45 days completed another prize etc....each tier being a bigger and more awesome prize as the numbers climbed...everyone would sign up ahead of time and choose a projected number they hope to reach obviously encouraging them to go further each time.
It would be an honor system challenge obviously since I couldnt moderate it for everyone...
I am looking for any advice on what I have so far, any cool ideas for prizes and any stories regarding your experience with these types of challenges so far, both positive and negative...thanks so much..
Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Sean Smith

Profile:
Re: Push up challenge for my members

Sounds to easy to me. Even on the last day (90), you could knock those out in 4 or 5 minutes without too much trouble. Maybe double the reps?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Lucas King

Profile:

I'd say do pullups. Going to be much harder and people will benefit a lot more.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Jose Sanchez

Profile:

At my gym we did something a bit similar. But we addressed it as a commitment exercise. It was 30 Burpees for 30 days. We didn't give any award for it. There were about 50 participants. It was always spoken of as a commitment exercise, trying to get members to commit to some physical activity for 30 days. We then started a 10 min stretch routine for 30 days. Again adhering to commitment to self improvement. I think the members enjoy it.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Andy Luten

Profile:

Wouldn't you want to give them at least a bit of rest? If I came up to you and said "do you think it'd be overworking someone to ask them to do 78 pushups a day for 30 days" you'd probably answer yes. That's the average number they'll be doing over the last 30 days.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas King View Post
I'd say do pullups. Going to be much harder and people will benefit a lot more.
wouldn't doing that many pull ups each day be counter productive?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Luten View Post
Wouldn't you want to give them at least a bit of rest? If I came up to you and said "do you think it'd be overworking someone to ask them to do 78 pushups a day for 30 days" you'd probably answer yes. That's the average number they'll be doing over the last 30 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
wouldn't doing that many pull ups each day be counter productive?
IMO, Most challenges over the 50day (thus 50 rep) will end up being too much volume. I have heard of a good replacement is to have a monthly challenge and switch the movement up every month....I think it would be fine to do this with pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. Even on days 20+, it is very common to have 20+ pull-ups in a warm-up, right? More advanced athletes maybe a 15 day Muscle up challenge or HSPU.