CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 06-10-2008, 05:22 AM   #1
Neil Buzick

Profile:
Variety in Training.. How much is too much?

To the point: How much training variety is too much? Based on a CF seminar video which explains the CF methodology, CONSISTENT variance of load/intensity on short, medium, and long term. One of the coaches goes on to opine that variety can be attained through enviornment, time of day, load, outdoor vs indoor training, etc are all examples of variance. The CF speciality is NOT specalizing.

What I have not heard mentioned ever is periodizing CF. For input purposes, I'm wondering how CF'ers have benefitted from taking "time off" from CF (variance, NOT specializing in CF) and focused on BB, endurance trianing, solely strength, for 2-3 months and come back to CF for a few months, back and forth in order to increase performace AND for variance purposes. Would this not still fall under the CF mantra of variance?

If all I do is CF but not focus on mass gaining (or some other specific focal area), it seems I may be cheating myself. Although we can all agree CF likely produces better all around fitness, I'd sure prefer a BB to be pushing a car stuck in the snow (I normally live in MN) rather than someone who is a couch potato. Since I don't know when "game day" might be, it certainly may benefit me to solely strength train in the winter months in MN, where from pervious experience of years past demonstartes strength is my most needed asset in the snow.

Back to the question. Do experienced CF'ers use workout variance (taken to the extreme of the seminar clip I watch) and periodize with CF? I once saw a video clip of CCT Joey saying he sometimes focuses on a particular area (strength, etc) just to come back to use it for further gains in CF.

I see a lot of BB bashing, but BB perioidizing seems like it may make sense. Comments?
Old 06-10-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:
Re: Variety in Training.. How much is too much?

Check out Gant Grimes' Hybrid Programs thread.
It seems that majority of the time once you pass a certain level - a hybrid type program with extra strength/oly/gymnastics seems to become more popular.