CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 06-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
Dave Parmly

Profile:
DH Pullups!

3 weeks ago, I could barely do 1 at a time. Yesterday I did 4 sets of 4 DHs with about a 2-4 minute break between sets. ( I was working with some folks we have doing some training in our little fitness center where I work.) They have been watching me progress and were very encouraging!

Greasing the Groove WORKS! I've been purposeful about multiple trips for onesy-twosy of them during the workday. I'm watching Adrian's kipping videos as I want to try and keep progressing!

Not bad for a fat old 48 year old...getting less fat, at least!
Old 06-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: DH Pullups!

Great work!

Pullups are fantastic and one of those movements that ALONE puts you ahead of, I'm sure, most Americans in terms of strength.

Keep us posted on further progress!
Old 06-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Dave Parmly

Profile:

1st Set today: 5 DH PUs. I am amazed at the "progress", at least as I see a 20% increase from last week to this. Next 3 sets of 4, 4 then 3 but I am working on the Kip on the last 3 sets and that is taking, right now, some away as I am still needing to swing my legs back and forth before the kip. It is NOT helpful that our PU bar is on a rack that is NOT secured to the floor so I think I will only get so far on the kips. Need to construct a bar under my deck at home, eh?

As stated elsewhere, my goal, along with my son, is to pass the SEAL Challenge (and get a T-shirt!) at the National Scout Jamboree in 2010. I need to be able to do 6 PUs...reckon I'll be there by then! My 13-year old is already at 8 and climbing.

It won't be "elite fitness", but at age 50, it'll be a damn sight more elite than my peers!
Old 06-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
Richard Hancock

Profile:

The beauty of learning the kipping pull ups is you can do many more than your dead hangs, thereby increasing the work load you can put on those muscle groups. When you learn to kip your chins, very well, your kip becomes minimal,only what is needed, and then your results will greatly increase.

Learning the kipping chin is difficult, and I have found that jumping chins is a great teacher for some of the kids I teach. Set the bar three or four inches above your head, and squat into an extended hang. When you jump, make your shoulders move in an arc, or circular motion, pulling your chin into and over the bar, then pushing away to drop into your squatting extended hang. Upon landing, your shoulders should continue to move circualr which will extend them forward, stretching forward while you are squatted, then back as they circle back up in your next jump. Hope that makes sense. It is hard to explain, but it leads very well into kipping your chins. In fact, I stress this aspect of jumping chins, and I don't have to teach my students the kipping chin. It just happens.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
Dave Parmly

Profile:

Got 6 today...no kip yet. WOOT!