CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 05-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Brendan Hurd

Profile:
Broken Arm... No problem

Just thought I'd share the frustrations of the last 5 weeks with everyone.

On my way to the gym one evening on my bike I was involved in a bike car accident that left me with a shattered right raidius and in an intense amount of pain. When I posted on the blog what had happened and said that I would be out of commission for a while the trainers at my affiliate both responded with support and encouragement to get back at it.

So I did, just five days after surgery (but almost 3 weeks after the accident) to repair my wrist and implant a titanium plate with ten screws I was back at the gym, skeptical but anxious to to something again. I worked lots of lower body and core exercises and even one arm ring rows for pullups, modifying WODs to use dumbbells and only my left hand. Coming up with creative ways to workout was the biggest part of the battle as I think we all take for granted how must wrist rotation and flexion goes into almost everything we do everyday. Even things like a back squat were impossible since i couldn't hold the bar on my shoulders. It was frustrating and slow but it always felt good to get a workout done.

Now two weeks out of surgery I feel great. I will still be in a cast for 3 more weeks but have already started doing some elevated pushups in the WODs. I am convinced that the high intensity workout and the resulting hormone dump has sped the healing process and I cant wait to get the cast off and get back at it in full capacity, hopefully the physical therapy will go quick.

I guess what I am trying to say is, even when you think you are down and out there is always something you can do and there is no excuse to not get out there and get some. I want to say thanks to the entire Crossfit community for the encouragement and not letting me sit around like a bum just cuz my arm was broken. Its that kind of personal support and commitment that I would never have gotten had I been working out at a large globo gym style place.

Also, has anyone else had an experience similar to mine and have good WOD ideas that can be done with just one arm because I am running out.

Thanks again all and let nothing slow your pursuit of elite fitness.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Derek Hutchison

Profile:
Re: Broken Arm... No problem

I am having a similar experience. I shattered my foot 2 months ago. 8 screws, a plate, and 2 pins are holding everything together. So I've been on crutches since then, and have about 2 more weeks before I can put any weight on it. I have still managed to get my CrossFit on. I do ALOT of pull-ups and muscle-ups. I throw in some pistol squats every now and then also. I even do one legged burpees.
I know exactly what you're going through. The hardest part is trying to find new things to do and keep it varied! Try some one arm DB snatches, DB overhead squats, DB push presses......the possibilities are endless. I feel great, and I can't wait to start rehabing my leg, once the doc lets me walk. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
Polo Lopez

Profile:

It's stories like these that make me proud to be in the Crossfit community. You guys are shining examples of dedication. Pursuits like these are what keep people going. Some say "impossible", You guys say "challenge." Keep it up. Glad you're safe and healing well. Thank you for posting.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Robert Rivera

Profile:

Just had wrist surgery myself 4 days ago. Stitches come out on thursday and ill be hitting the gym right from the Dr's office. Im not very cretive to begin with, so any lower body and core workouts that you used would be greatly appreciated.
robert_rivera@sheriff.org
Thanx
Old 06-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Brendan Hurd

Profile:

Robert,

Heres what I ended up doing most of the time. I looked at the posted workout at my affiliate and then worked with the trainer there to come up with substitutions that I could do with one arm and kept some parts that i could do the same. Things that are commonly done with barbells, thrusters,presses,snatches,jerks and the like can often be done with a single dumbbell in your good hand. The added benefit of this, at least in my experience, was that this single dumbbell is lot less stable when locked out overhead, putting and even greater emphasis on core stability as well as a strongly activate shoulder to achieve lockout.

For pullups we subbed a one armed ring row, those are difficult but effective. Pushups we did one armed on a bench or a box as I didn't posses the strength to do a normal one. Did lots of sit ups, GHD and on the abmat, as well as a lot of air squats. Kettlebells were of good use to since almost all of those exercises can be done one handed.

I hope some of this helps, I know you said you weren't creative but just look around the gym and experiment trying to hit the desired muscle groups, something is better than nothing, especially in your situation.

A couple of good workouts is something like annie (doing tuck jumps for double unders) or Micheal which can be done as Rx'd with only one arm.

Good luck and keep working,
Bones
Old 06-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
Tim M. Davis

Profile:

I too am recovering from a fractured ankle. I have had a cast on my left ankle for 4 weeks and thankfully it comes off on friday replaced by a boot for 2 more weeks. So needless to say I have been doing a lot of upper body workouts, my favorite is 10 rounds of 10 pullups, 10 pushups, 10 situps and or knees to elbows, 10 ring dips. so I understand trying to mix it up. Hope you all recover fast.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Jennie Yundt

Profile:

Hi Brendan,

Your story is an inspiration to all of us! Thank you for sharing! It's great to hear that you didn't let your injury keep you from working out. I have heard all kinds of stories about injured people continuing to CrossFit....this really is the most amazing and dedicated community in the world!