CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #81
Jamie Gowens

Profile:
Re: abstinence and athletic performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"I'm a girl."

Proof.
Heh. I haven't been called out on the intertoobs in YEARS. That's great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
Whoops, my mistake!!! How can I make it up to you?
Come clean the party room at the gym?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #82
Karl Steeves

Profile:

Girls don't exist on the internet.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #83
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Steeves View Post
Girls don't exist on the internet.
Very true. Girls 18 and over are really guys. And girls under 18 are really Police Officers.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:12 AM   #84
Victor Putz

Profile:

Quote:
blue balls is a myth made up to convince high school girls to give it up.
Eh? Pain caused by testicular vasocongestion is certainly no myth; you've basically got sustained hydraulic pressure applying force to tender tissues, so that your body's own functions are literally squeezing your dangling unmentionables.

Vasocongestion happens to all sorts of parts to varying degrees (even blushing basically counts); it's just that most body parts aren't specifically designed to do it that well, and most parts aren't as sensitive to pressure. Women can even have an analagous reaction following prolonged unrequited arousal, though probably not as painful (often described as a "heavy pelvis").

Now, whether you're of low enough moral fiber that you try and use that as a lever to manipulate high school girls is a matter between you and your therapist. But the physiological reaction is quite real.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #85
Ryan Ragona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Putz View Post
Eh? Pain caused by testicular vasocongestion is certainly no myth; you've basically got sustained hydraulic pressure applying force to tender tissues, so that your body's own functions are literally squeezing your dangling unmentionables.

Vasocongestion happens to all sorts of parts to varying degrees (even blushing basically counts); it's just that most body parts aren't specifically designed to do it that well, and most parts aren't as sensitive to pressure. Women can even have an analagous reaction following prolonged unrequited arousal, though probably not as painful (often described as a "heavy pelvis").

Now, whether you're of low enough moral fiber that you try and use that as a lever to manipulate high school girls is a matter between you and your therapist. But the physiological reaction is quite real.
Bwahaha, that was awesome.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #86
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Now, whether you're of low enough moral fiber that you try and use that as a lever to manipulate high school girls is a matter between you and your therapist.
Find me one guy in high school that isn't.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:19 AM   #87
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Quote:
Eh? Pain caused by testicular vasocongestion is certainly no myth
perhaps, but the notion that this is caused by abstinence or semen retention is.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #88
Victor Putz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
perhaps, but the notion that this is caused by abstinence or semen retention is.
Ah, I see where you're coming from there. Yeah, it's just caused by prolonged intense physical arousal; I suppose long periods of abstinence could increase intensity of physical arousal when it happens, so people could get confused there, but it's just a secondary correlation. It's also certainly true that orgasm/ejaculation triggers the refractory period, which "deflates" the affected tissues and releases the "squeeze", as it were, so refusing that is refusing one possible form of relief. So there probably is a correlation between abstinence and blue balls, but as you say, not precisely a causal one.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #89
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Wow - this was a funny and interesting read. Anyway, I saw a special on discovery channel or "sports science" about this a while back. I could only find this quick link (WFS, medical info). http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...60222_sex.html

All in all, the idea that abstinence is better for fighters is (thank god) a myth. As a BJJ/MMA guy for a number of years, I never subscribed to it and never noticed any diff, even before tournaments, and would never ever alter my sex life, nor pass up the chance for a lil sumpin' because of a fight. Any dude who does has his priorities all wrong, IMO. (Sorry, Adam, while I respect your position of independence, I'm 40 with four kids and I still feel that way).

As to the "blue balls" myth, I think it's interesting in this respect - when I was going through OCS back in the late 80's, the rumor was also that they put saltpeter in the chow. I thought it must be true because for the weeks of bulldog, I was, uh, not very sexually inclined (and I was 19 or 20 at the time). This was a shock to me.

I later asked my mother who is a nurse (go ahead, roll the Oedipus jokes) about this and she laughed at and heckled me. "It's stress, you idiot," I recall being her answer as to why I had absolutely zero thoughts about sex during OCS. So, the above discussion on vasoconstriction is kind of interesting. I'll also add anecdotally that - fast-forward many years after OCS - during a murder trial (I was one of the defense attorneys) I was working so many hours and so stressed during the two weeks of the trial, it wasn't until it was over that I realized I had zero thoughts about sex during that time either. I was geographically separated from my girlfriend, but I'm not sure I would have been much "in the mood" in any event.

Conclusion based upon my forty years? The most important sex organ is the one between your ears.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #90
John Rolfe

Profile:

My only contribution to this is that I ran a two minute PR on a 5k after having relations with my wife.

Take it for what its worth.