CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Eric J Leon

Profile:
Updating our Organization's Gym, photo journal, ideas please!

I'm going to use this thread to document the progress of updating our firehouse's gym. I hope this is the right forum to post this in.

If you have any ideas or recommendations please let us know, its appreciated.

Our biggest challenge is just making the best use of the limited space. The gym room is relatively small but opens up into a larger truck room. Unfortunately we can't actually store anything in the larger room.

Here's what we are planning on right now:

Rogue R-4 Rack and Y-3 Yoke
Olympic Lifting Platform
Assortment of bars (mens, technique, farmer's handles and an axle)
Rouge Bumpers, 1000lbs, full color competition
Prowler
C2 Rower
Medballs, jump rope, boxes etc
We're going to hang pullup rigs in the outside truck room, along with a 15ft rope and rings.
We're also going to replace the old stereo with a pretty loud system, music is important right?

To placate the majority of members though we are also getting
0-100 DBs (York)
Treadmill
5-way bench

If anyone is interested I'd love to tell about the challenges we have had convincing the majority of our firehouse to accept "cross-training" equipment. We have a small Crossfit faction which has been pushing for them gym. The rest of the membership wants typical gym machines, treadmills, or are just ambivalent. I could go on for a while about that.

Anyhow checkout what the gym currently looks like:

The four photos show:
The gym, the gym, outside the gym, and the whole garage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4603b.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	8661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4605b.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	8662   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4607b.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	8663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4608b.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	8664  
Old 12-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Tim Nakashima

Profile:
Re: Updating our Organization's Gym, photo journal, ideas please!

You could save a lot of money by getting one full set of the comp bumpers (if you really want them) and instead getting Hi Temp or HG bumpers with some iron. I'm assuming most of your metcons will be done outside, or at least off the platform (if you do metcons), therefore durable bumpers are a must.

Seems like it'll be a pretty sweet set up.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Mike Hollister

Profile:

How are you going to pay for all this? 1000 lbs of color competition bumpers? Is that necessary?

*please don't say budget/general fund i.e. tax dollars...*
Old 12-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Eric J Leon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hollister View Post
How are you going to pay for all this? 1000 lbs of color competition bumpers? Is that necessary?

Mike are you a reporter by chance?

We're a volunteer fire company and take care of our own finances. The project has been in the works for over a year now and we've managed our funding accordingly. That being said this is a little too close to politics and as such conversation isn't allowed on these boards I'd rather not discuss further.

@Tim, are the color bumpers less durable than the HG/HI Temps? We probably won't be doing much lifting outside of the garage. The garage floor is painted and smooth. Aside from cosmetically getting roughed up do you think the competition bumpers will wear prematurely?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 12-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Rolando Santos

Profile:

I say forget about the rack and get another S-2 or 3 with safety spotter arms. Unless you will be working out alone there is not much need for the rack and the other systems are movable maximizing your space...
Old 12-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Travis Rask

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hollister View Post

Would you prefer these VOLUNTARY public servants spend taxpayer dollars on televisions and pickle ball courts?

Last edited by Travis Rask; 12-05-2011 at 03:37 PM..
Old 12-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
Ian Nigh

Profile:

The competition bumpers are designed for competition (look nice, within weight tolerances, etc), not the daily wear and tear of training. The HG's and the Hi-Temps are made to be abused.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Travis Rask

Profile:

Procurement list looks good, by the way. Don't feel bad about the dumbbells...lots of great options (man makers, farmers walks, DB squat cleans, etc.).

GREAT call on the prowler! The guys will LOVE it and put it to good use! I purchased a Butcher and keep it at the station. I don't know what it is about it...but the prowler is a de facto competition tool for each individual shift. We've literally had guys "one upping" other shifts to see who could get the most laps in...it progressed to who could push the longest in bunker gear on air! Great way to get guys combat ready, and pretty much an injury free item (great for appeasing those "safety minded" folks in admin we hold so dear).

I echo the color bumpers...get something designed to take a beating. I bought a ton of cheap black bumpers...they have not disappointed me at all.

If I were in your shoes I would consider "placating" the membership with a strength based functional fitness programming model.

Something like Greyskull LP, WSFA, or 531 would meet all the operational needs of your firefighters without the pushback of a straight programming system (main site, etc).

I've transitioned from a CF model to a strength based model in the past year; after shedding the 'gospel', I discovered a foundation of strength infused with conditioning is far more beneficial to my fireground work capacity than old methods. I handle hose, drag victims and slam ladders with much greater ease.

I have friends who can testify to the same. Heck, look at the front page of the "fitness" forum. Form an anecdotical perspective...it certainly appears more and more CF'ers are discovering the same mindset. I've discovered beating myself into inflammatory submission with WODS (AKA "With Out Direction System) every day is not a recipe for success...or long term adoption.

Keep us updated with pictures as you roll out the new space...looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Last edited by Travis Rask; 12-05-2011 at 04:01 PM..
Old 12-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
Eric J Leon

Profile:
Red face Re: Updating our Organization's Gym, photo journal, ideas please!

Thanks for the insight on the bumpers, we're probably buying a couple sets of used Wright Rubber bumpers from our local affiliate. That being said I wasn't aware before the comp bumpers might have a durability issue.

I need to find some basic CAD software to lay out the equipment in the gym. I personally would like a rack for band work (not that it can't be done with S-3 rigs) but jamming the room with great equipment and not having the space to do anything would be self defeating.

@Travis I'm excited just to get the equipment so we can show most of the guys who are doing bodybuilding type workouts that there is a light. The light may not be CrossFit but once the equipment is in place getting people on even just starting strength will be a huge improvement. With programming I'd like to round everyone up and do workouts like Prowler races or weighted hose drag competitions. Hopefully bringing out the competitive side and how it effects fire-ground proficiency will motivate people to start training.

Last edited by Eric J Leon; 12-05-2011 at 03:57 PM..
Old 12-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
The competition bumpers are designed for competition (look nice, within weight tolerances, etc), not the daily wear and tear of training. The HG's and the Hi-Temps are made to be abused.
There are a couple of Eleiko plates in my gym that have been around for more than 20-30years. I'm not sure where you're getting the thought that competition-style plates are somehow less durable. Competition plates are definitely made to take a beating.

Just by design, the larger metal hubs are less likely to break than the tiny hubs you'll find on an HG/Hi-Temp plate. Granted I haven't personally seen a single failure from the Hi-Temps (I've seen failures on plates similar to the HG though they weren't the actual HG plates... they were Kraiburgs). I do like the Hi-Temp plates for outdoor use since they're already roughed up and you don't have to worry about them getting un-pretty. However I can't honestly say they are more/less durable than the comp-style plates. Not to mention the fact you'll save a buttload of money with the Hi-Temps and you could use that towards more rowers/prowlers/yokes/whatever

On a side note. IMO, full color COMPETITION style plates in lbs are pointless. Since you can't technically use them in COMPETITION. I think one major selling point of color plates in kg is the ability to quickly tell how much weight is on the bar. You lose that when you go to lbs. For example in kilos, 2 greens = 1 blue, 1 red = 1 green + 1 yellow, etc. In lbs, that is not the case.

Last edited by Jeremy Galo; 12-05-2011 at 04:06 PM..