CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Matthew Sutterfield

Profile:
has it been 3 1/2 months already?

I first heard about CrossFit in 2005 when I was still in Minnesota... saw a Nat'l Geographic program on Pararescue, which led me to specialtactics.com, which led me to interest in RKC & Crossfit, & 'functional' training in general... CHEK, RMAX-Sonnon, and on down the rabbit hole I went. A fresh college grad with a BS in Biology, I nerded out while devouring info on nutrition & fitness.

The problem is, I spent too much time reading, watching videos, researching; and not enough time doing. (I'm one of those cerebral, perfectionistic types who is always tempted to form the 'PERFECT' plan before really getting started... though I'm learning life is more of a process than that, & those who embrace that fact are much more successful).

Anyhoo, semi-consistent KB work (took some great local classes with Andrea Du Cane in St. Paul, MN), some 'functional' crossfit-esque workouts at Globogym (including SOPWOD's from SpecialTactics forums), swimming & trail running (using Chirunning method) have definitely improved my overall level of fitness. But I was maintaining more than improving. After marriage, a move to L.A., and finding work/getting settled in a new town, I finally I put excuses and financial concerns aside and joined a Crossfit affiliate, Crossfit 360(WFS), in February. Let's just say the level of intensity I put into my workouts at CF 360 far surpasses anything I did before. In my experience, spending 2-2.5x the $ amount vs. a globo membership has been totally worth it.

My trainers encouraged me to compete at the SoCal qualifier in April, so after 2 months of Crossfitting I went for it. I had a blast and it was very motivating. I was pleased overall with my performance considering C & J's, overhead squats, & kipping pull-ups were very new to me.

Coming back to present day, my goals/motivation: join the 131st RQS Pararescue team at Moffett Field here in CA. To make this a reality, I add in extra swimming/running work & strength/cal's training. Still working on finding the sweet spot when it comes to beneficial recovery. I'm starting up a log here on the boards to help me track & organize my workouts. Should also help me learn more about my recovery needs.

Finally, as far as nutrition goes, I've had to up my calorie intake bigtime to maintain muscle mass... trying to add on a few pounds of muscle (without cutting much fat... I need the buoyancy & insulation =), but hard to get used to eating so much. Trying to do a lot of whole milk kefir and eggs for my extra protein & fat. Otherise, I follow an "old fashioned" diet... basically, whole foods. For reference, I really like a lot of the ideas from westonaprice.org.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading my intro, and a big thanks to CrossFit for maintaining these boards... it's a fantastic resource.

Cheers,
.Matt.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
David S Shiroma

Profile:
Re: has it been 3 1/2 months already?

Heya Matt!
Good luck with the Pararescue stuff!
I agree with you, the boards are great!

I'm very new to CF(1.5 to 2 months) but I read your story and wanted to say "Hi" because I also went to College in MN(UofMN-TC), got my BS in Genetics and Cell Development and moved to CA as well. Good stuff man.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Matthew Sutterfield

Profile:

Thanks David... how long have you been in CA? Since I grew up in MN, I had plenty of friends that went to UofM (including my wife =). I graduated from Bethel. Are you working in Genetics/Cell Dev. now?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
David S Shiroma

Profile:

I moved to CA about 4 years ago.
Yep, I work in the Bio-Pharma industry(though not really doing Genetics any more)
More protein/assay work.

Cool, I knew some people who went to Bethel, I thought it was a very nice campus when I visited.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Good luck with the PJ's! That certainly is a strong (and lofty) goal to have!
Old 06-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Matthew Sutterfield

Profile:

Thanks Steven... my wife and I love Petaluma, may move there when we relocate to the Bay Area. Do you train at the Sonoma County affiliate?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Sutterfield View Post
Thanks Steven... my wife and I love Petaluma, may move there when we relocate to the Bay Area. Do you train at the Sonoma County affiliate?

Yes I do. Great affiliate!