CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Joe Bernard
Member Joe Bernard is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,626
Back Squat Check

I switched from front squats to back squats because my knee and shoulder have been feeling better and I want more hamstring recruitment and better overall strength development. I know I've been posting a good amount of videos, I just want to get my form dialed in and I appreciate the help I have gotten so far. My biggest concern is that my knees might be traveling too far forward, which means I'm either not sitting back enough and/or not shoving my knees out enough (I think I am but you never know, can't tell from this angle). Also, when the weight gets heavy (for me) I have a tendency for my chest to cave, I don't think it happened here. This is 85lbs, working set was 90lbs and yes I am bulking up so I don't look like an LSD junkie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YKL4rsD7Q4 (wfs)
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Brad Allen Jones
Banned Brad Allen Jones is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muskegon  MI
Posts: 4,706
Re: Back Squat Check

Your chest is dropping just a tad but not terrible.
Overall pretty good.

The biggest problem, though, is that you aren't simultaneously eating a sandwich while you're squatting
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Robert Fabsik
Member Robert Fabsik is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kildeer  IL
Posts: 2,233
Re: Back Squat Check

I thought your knees looked fine. For most people, they'll have the knee move forward somewhat in the back squat. Some can keep the shin totally vertical, but that is not essential. Typical guidline is that your knee doesn't go beyond your toes. I don't see that here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Joe Bernard
Member Joe Bernard is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,626
Re: Back Squat Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Your chest is dropping just a tad but not terrible.
Overall pretty good.

The biggest problem, though, is that you aren't simultaneously eating a sandwich while you're squatting
Good to know I'm on the right track, thanks. Yea someone holding a sandwich for me to take a bite in between reps and having an IV hooked up to pump milk into my body, that will do the trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I thought your knees looked fine. For most people, they'll have the knee move forward somewhat in the back squat. Some can keep the shin totally vertical, but that is not essential. Typical guidline is that your knee doesn't go beyond your toes. I don't see that here.
Sounds good, thanks. I've read that you want to make all of your forward knee travel occur in the first part of the descent because any more means that you are applying a shearing force on your knees, is this true or no?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik
Member Robert Fabsik is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kildeer  IL
Posts: 2,233
Re: Back Squat Check

What you say about shear, seems to make sense. But honestly looking at you squat, I wouldn't worry about that detail
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
Joe Bernard
Member Joe Bernard is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,626
Re: Back Squat Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
What you say about shear, seems to make sense. But honestly looking at you squat, I wouldn't worry about that detail
Ok thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
Brad Allen Jones
Banned Brad Allen Jones is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muskegon  MI
Posts: 4,706
Re: Back Squat Check

Knees traveling forward isn't a big deal as far as being bad for you knees. I know you're doing low bar so they should stay over your toes, but if you watch olympic lifters they knees are way out over their toes, and knee injuries seem to be uncommon for them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
Joe Bernard
Member Joe Bernard is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,626
Re: Back Squat Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Knees traveling forward isn't a big deal as far as being bad for you knees. I know you're doing low bar so they should stay over your toes, but if you watch olympic lifters they knees are way out over their toes, and knee injuries seem to be uncommon for them.
Good point. Those guys do put alot of stress on their knees with all the weight they lift, so if they are good then I should be good; thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Nicholas Halter
Member Nicholas Halter is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Troy  Ohio
Posts: 17
Re: Back Squat Check

You squat looks great. Hips are back and then down. You don't appear to rock forward out of the bottom either, but you are delaying the knee. The problem I notice about knees forward and sheer is that people will become more quad dominate out of the bottom. This is done by keeping the knees bent for most of the lift out of the bottom and rocking forward. It's like they kip a squat or bounce from the bottom. You can kind of replicate the same thing getting up out of a desk chair.
Once you break parallel push your knees out hard and start pulling them back as you stand. You hips break first and last. You should be able to look at a squat in reverse and not notice it is in reverse.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
Joe Bernard
Member Joe Bernard is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,626
Re: Back Squat Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Halter View Post
You squat looks great. Hips are back and then down. You don't appear to rock forward out of the bottom either, but you are delaying the knee. The problem I notice about knees forward and sheer is that people will become more quad dominate out of the bottom. This is done by keeping the knees bent for most of the lift out of the bottom and rocking forward. It's like they kip a squat or bounce from the bottom. You can kind of replicate the same thing getting up out of a desk chair.
Once you break parallel push your knees out hard and start pulling them back as you stand. You hips break first and last. You should be able to look at a squat in reverse and not notice it is in reverse.
Thanks Nick. I definitely do have the problem of rocking forward at the bottom when the weight gets heavy. So by pushing my knees out hard and pulling them back as I stand up that will bring the glutes and hamstrings into play more and limit the quad dominance, right? Do I need to do this more in the video I posted?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back Squat PR Check Shane Jensen Digital Coaching 6 07-03-2011 06:38 PM
Back Squat Check Brian D Williams Digital Coaching 5 06-27-2011 01:33 PM
Back Squat Check Douglas Menikheim Digital Coaching 3 05-16-2011 11:44 AM
Form check help: Back Squat/Front Squat/Deadlift/Overhead Press Daniel Frankel Digital Coaching 28 03-31-2011 12:26 PM
Back Squat Check Ian Nigh Digital Coaching 14 11-25-2010 04:28 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:18 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.