CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:
Kung's Log

Been coming here for about a year or so now and *JUST* realized "Oh hey - they have a spot for workout logs!"

I started CrossFit in March of last year. Compared to where I WAS when I first started, I've made enormous strides; however, I have a feeling that my numbers won't compare to more than a few others here, as I'm starting off at a bit of a disadvantage when compared to some. Figured first post would be an explanation of that, and next post will be the last workout/WOD we did (yesterday's WOD).

Explanation of 'disadvantage': I've had a few surgeries, as listed below:

May '05: L5/S1 microdisectomy
October '06: Bilateral carpal tunnel release, left wrist first dorsal release
October '07: Left shoulder acromioplasty/subacromial decompression, removal of a LOT of scar tissue
October '08: Same thing on the right shoulder
December '10: Surgery on left ankle to remove clean broken part of lateral malleolus, reattachment of ligaments to the 'new' bottom of the lateral malleolus
May '12: Same thing as October '07 (guy missed some stuff the first time)

With all of that, I'm happy to say that with respect to a lot of people I'm really not all that limited in what I can do. The following is a list of the things I currently have issues with:

Snatches: Strength-wise, I'm easily >100%; and I've actually got excellent mobility as well. However, my lower back and hips (IT bands and such) get tight VERY easily so unless I do a LOT of stretching and make sure everything's limber, I fail pretty quickly. So far my maximum ever's something like 175#.

Overhead Squats: Same problem as snatches. Additionally, when doing OHS's, unless I've hydrated, have wrist straps on, the tide's in, the moon is full, etc., my wrists can go numb very easily (due to the carpal tunnel release, the fine bones in the wrist will impinge the nerve - no real "fix" that I'm aware of for that), and once that happens it's over with. LOL Maximum so far is like 155#.

Pullups: I can do them; but not many and not well. LOL Given my shoulder surgeries, I'm working on them and building up strength slowly and the like, but I'm halfway between trying to progress as quick as possible while ensuring I do it smart.

I have also noticed that anytime I do a WOD where multiple exercises regarding the lower back are performed back-to-back (e.g., wallballs, deadlifts, OHS's), I either need to dial down the weight, or reps, or rounds, or else the left side of my lower back and my left glute will get so tight I have to stop and foamroll it out to loosen stuff up. I suspect that as time goes on and I learn more about my form, limitations, MobilityWODs and the like that will become less of a problem.

Enough about me; will post yesterday's WOD.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:
Re: Kung's Log

1/21/2013:

Warmup - 500m row, followed by 10 minutes of mobility exercises/stretching

Strength: A few 45# bar practice push presses, followed by 7x1 push press: 95#, 135#, 165#, 185#, 195#, 205#, 215# (Was pretty psyched to get 215# - I know it's not much, but again, considering my 'surgical history' it's freaking fantastic for me.)

WOD - Diane. Took me 7:58 or something, which is abominable, I know. LOL HOWEVER...that included about 2 minutes of foam-rolling my lower back (that lower back tightening thing started to happen so I HAD to), and it was the first time post-May 2012 surgery that I was able to perform it completely Rx (all HSPUs and Rx weight). So as long as I can take care of lower back flexibility/mobility for the next time, and work on strengthening my shoulders, I fully expect that to drop a few minutes.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:
Re: Kung's Log

Updating this because frankly, I had to take almost 2 weeks off from 'active' CrossFitting due to my sciatic nerve being pinched so badly that I could barely stand up straight some days; the rest of the time I could sit, but not easily.

Last workout was last Thursday; AMRAP 20 minutes of the following:

50 20# wallballs
40 pushups
30 pullups
20 deadlifts @ 185#
10 KB swings @ 44#
5 burpees
1 rope climb (or 8 burpees)

I did one round in about 9 or 10 minutes; my sciatic wasn't pinched or catching but the muscles in that area were killing me so I took it easy and spent the next 10 minutes doing a lot of MobilityWOD stuff, specific stretching for that area, etc. Am fine now so I should be back @ it with tomorrow's WOD.