CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Boris Lau

Profile:
Back Squat Form Check

Here's my back squats from today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3LOoEHo0ac

On GSLP,
5 x 265lbs
5 x 265lbs
8 x 265lbs

Would really appreciate any feedback. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
Kevin Simons

Profile:
Re: Back Squat Form Check

I think you are getting parallel on most lifts although a few are questionable. Regardless, I go a lot lower in my own training. Especially if you are interested in the Olympic lifts, ***-to-grass squats have the most to offer, in my opinion. If you are training for a powerlifting competition, that may not be the case, but I imagine you would be using a wider stance if that were so.
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 09-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Boris Lau

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Simons View Post
I think you are getting parallel on most lifts although a few are questionable. Regardless, I go a lot lower in my own training. Especially if you are interested in the Olympic lifts, ***-to-grass squats have the most to offer, in my opinion. If you are training for a powerlifting competition, that may not be the case, but I imagine you would be using a wider stance if that were so.
Thanks for the feedback, Kevin. I'll try to go deeper, but with the low-bar squat, it seems like any deeper and I lose all my hip drive and tension in the hamstrings. Do you know a solution for that?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Another 2" deeper would still be fine on a LBBS and should allow you to load your hamstrings a bit more and get a better bounce out of the bottom. Sitting back even more should keep you from losing tension. Keep working your mobility and focus on driving your knees out--they start out fine, but then seem to roll in a little right as you come out of the hole. Also, don't be in a hurry between reps--take a deep breath, reset, tighten up, then go.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Boris Lau

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Another 2" deeper would still be fine on a LBBS and should allow you to load your hamstrings a bit more and get a better bounce out of the bottom. Sitting back even more should keep you from losing tension. Keep working your mobility and focus on driving your knees out--they start out fine, but then seem to roll in a little right as you come out of the hole. Also, don't be in a hurry between reps--take a deep breath, reset, tighten up, then go.
Eric - Would you recommend widening my stance as some others have suggested? Rip seems to advocate a stance a little wider than shoulder width but many have argued it should be wider with my toes not pointed so far out?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
Andy Gann

Profile:

+1 on depth and rest between sets - listen to what Eric said ...

You just kind of end one rep and begin the next. I've found it useful at the end of each rep to pause for a quick moment to mentally reset, take a deep breath, and attack the next rep.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lau View Post
Eric - Would you recommend widening my stance as some others have suggested? Rip seems to advocate a stance a little wider than shoulder width but many have argued it should be wider with my toes not pointed so far out?
Width and toe angle look fine to me but what's perfect for one person may not be perfect for another based on small variations in pelvis width, femur length, tibia length, etc. Play around with it a little and see what works best for you.

That being said there's not one exact place your feet and toes have to be for you to execute a good squat--there will be a tolerance of a few inches and degrees in there.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
Shane Steinert-Threlkeld

Profile:

More minor, but you seem to be losing bar position / grip at the end: your wrists end up far more bent than they started at.