CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
Eric Lester

Profile:
I've written up a strength training program based off Mr. Rippetoe's books. Doing 3 sets of 5 reps for Squat, Press, Bench.

However I read in one of his two books to only do one set for the Deadlift. I did a single set of 5 with 255 lbs today (I am 5'7" and weigh 165 lbs. This is by far the most I've ever deadlifted).

Thirty seconds later I felt completely recovered.

Is one set really enough? Did I perhaps misunderstand the reason for only doing one set?

Also I am currently only deadlifting once a week. Would it help or hurt to bump this to twice a week?
Old 06-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Don't know about Rippetoe's philosophy, but general consensus (I think) is that deadlift improves all other areas of fitness, it's just an amazing motion. I'd go twice a week but don't quote me.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Gant Grimes

Profile:

I don't speak for Rip, but in SS he explains that one work set on the deadlift is sufficient (if you are truly doing a 5RM). The movement is very taxing and is usually done after other heavy movements. If you're following SS you'll see that you can DL more than once a week.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Eric Lester

Profile:
Thanks guys. I think I got confused a bit on limiting the Deadlift. I'll be throwing in another day of 1 set.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:
If a beginner (what Starting Strength is written for) and squatting 5 RM for 3x a week.. you probably aren't going to have enough back and leg conditioning to pull out another set of DLs. That's why it's that low. However, if you've done any serious lifting before doing the program you can probably add in more work to it if you feel the need to.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Deadlifting once a week is fine I think. I deadlift once a week or once every other week. The way I do my deadlift workouts is I just do deadlifts and some pressing movement that day. I deadlift first, starting with a rather light 5 rep set, and each set add 10lbs-20lbs. Eventually the reps decrease to doubles and singles as the weights get heavier and heavier. By the end of the workout you are close to your 1RM and have done around 10 sets of deadlifts. The last 4-6 sets are your actual" work sets" imo. So once a week isn't so bad cuz after this kind of workout my grip, lower back, and CNS are shot.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:
Like Brian said, heavy deadlifting (and heavy lifting in general) for your 5RM may not "burn" your muscles like a lower weight/high rep set, but it does a number on your central nervous system, which is why you may feel completely recovered. Another reason may be that you're not using enough weight for a 5 rep, balls-to-the-wall set.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
In Starting Strength, the program calls for doing 3x5 heavy squats, then 3x5 heavy presses or bench presses. After that you do 1x5 heavy deadlifts. After all the squats, A 5rm set of DLs is usually plenty. Rip recommends doing Deads every other workout. So you might do squats, presses, power cleans one day and squats, bench and DLs on another day. Then you alternate MWF. So one week you deadlift twice and the other week you power clean twice.

It's a very effective program. You shouldn't base everything after doing 1 workout. It's a program. You have to try it for a couple of months. Remember that every workout your are going go up in weight on every exercise (even if it's only a pound). So today it might have felt pretty good, but next time you deadlift you have to go up 10 to 20 pounds. After 2 months, it'll get harder and harder.

I hope you are remembering to do warmup sets too.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:36 AM   #9
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Keith:

How are you finding the SS program? You've been doing it now for 6 months, right?

I've been focusing on the O lifts which integrate many of the SS lifts.

Elliot
Old 06-24-2007, 06:15 AM   #10
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Elliot-I dont know about Keiths personal progress but he is doing SS with me> Its been amazing! My stregnth has vasty increased and fast!