CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
John Harshman

Profile:
Has anybody every tried to incorporate Pavels greasing the groove phylosophy with MET conditioning?

ex. GTG w/DL and PP then perfrom 10-15 min of met con.

Would this be too much?

THanks

John
Old 05-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Rob McBee

Profile:
Not with metcons but I do to some extent with O-lifting. I do roughly a 5x5 of pullups and dips on rings after o-lift workouts along with some ab stuff. I believe it works or it does for me. When I can really bust out the ring dips with relatively little effort I'm getting a weight vest.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness
Old 05-05-2007, 06:21 AM   #4
William Hunter

Profile:
Being that one of the tenets of GTG is to do your work while absolutely staying as fresh as possible, I think it's a great option for combining with any other program.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #5
Joshua Canipe

Profile:
doesn't grease the groove mean you do a few reps of the exercise several times a day, everyday for a while? That's how he's described it in everything i've read. If so are you suggesting 10-15 minutes of metcon, several times a day, every day?
Old 05-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Joshua,
If the WOD called for 15 minutes of metcon, you would do 3-5 minutes mini-WODs throughout the day. But you wouldn't do a full WOD several times a day. The idea is to remain fresh, while still performing a fairly high volume of work.

Tyler
Old 05-07-2007, 05:16 AM   #7
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
The main idea with GTG is forcing your CNS to adapt to a specific movement/drill. The more often you perform the drill, to more adapt your CNS will become. So the trick is to practice and stay fresh so you can put as many reps unto your day as possible. E.g. it's easier to perform 100 pullups during the whole day, than within 10 minutes. Same number of reps, very different impact on your body.

The main idea with metcon is busting your body towards your limits, so that it'll – with rest and time – regenerate and thus adapt to the demands you impose upon it. There's a huge difference between running 4.3 K every day for 10 days, than it is to rest for 9 days and then run a marathon.

Therefore you cannot truely GTG metcon, because metcon demands rest, and you cannot per definition rest and GTG at the same time. What you CAN do, though, is perform mini circuits every morning. For instance 10-15 pullups, 15-30 pushups and 50 squats – or whatever you chose to do – just to get the pulse pumping, but not overdoing it. That's the closest – I think – you can come to GTG'ing metcon
Old 05-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
John Harshman

Profile:
I'm glad I could generate such a great discussion, but I have a confession to make. I totally asked the wrong question.

Explanation:

I refered to Pavels theory of periodization from power to the people as GTG, my mistake. Here's what I meant to ask.

Could one use periodization as he does, 1-2 main movements 5 days a week, 5 reps or less, using heavy but not to failure, then incorporate 3-4 met cons into it without over doing it? I hope this makes sense.

John
Old 05-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #9
Tyler Hass

Profile:
John,
It depends on your recovery abilities. If you are new to CrossFit and the workouts leave you sore, then no. If you have extra room, then yes, you can do a PTP style template workout before your CrossFit metcon or on different days.

Tyler
Old 05-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
If in doubt; test it! Try your program and if after a while you experience a lasting feeling of extreme tiredness, you've overdone it ;)

I personally wouldn't consider it a problem doing a power to the people-cycle along with for instance tabata sprints 5 days a week, but we're all different ... I'd ease metcon down as you begin to reach the last days of the PTTP-cycle.

I'd also evaluate the nature of my metcon training. Smoking yourself with thrusters and db/kb swing 3 times a week while in a PTTP-cycle of deadlifts and shoulderpress wouldn't be optimal, to say it diplomatically.