CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Ryan Stitt

Profile:
Rogue Oly Shoes

well, I went and did a tactical strength challenge and most of the guys from that affilaite were wearing Do Win lifting shoes. Made me think about getting some proper shoes, especially since I would like to do an Olympic Lifting Comp the first weekend of May. I did some browsing around the different sights. The Adidas shoes are out of the budget for sure. I saw that Rogue is offering a great looking shoe. Has anyone lifted in this shoe and what do you think of it? What other shoes have you lifted in, and what differences do you detect between them? Did you notice significant gains in weight lifted with a proper shoe/positioning?

I think that I am lacking in the flexability department and have been fighting some bursitis in my right hip. Especially on heavy cleans. Is it possible a proper shoe will relieve this to an extent?

I think a proper show would be great, but would like to be more knowledgeable about them before making the decision. Is there a method for determining proper heel height? Seems like there should be. Also are the heels "adjustable" Maybe using a belt sander or something?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 04-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Chris Robinson

Profile:
Re: Rogue Oly Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stitt View Post
Is there a method for determining proper heel height? Seems like there should be.
This comes down to personal preference.

As far as the heights of particular brands, when I asked Gwen about the heel height on the Botev shoes as compared to the Adidas she said, "Depends on which Adidas model. The Botev heel height is around 1.5". The old Adidas shoes are around 1.48". The new Adistars are significantly smaller heel at about 1.20." Now, the DoWins and VS Athlethics have a higher heel, but the heel on the Rogue DoWins was designed to be about the same height as the Adidas (I don't know which model, but Bill Henniger could tell you).

Me? I prefer a lower heel. I've been lifting in a pair of Adidas, but they need replacing. I'm stopping by CF Columbus in a few weeks to get a pair of the Rogue DoWins.

For what it's worth, Rip is now recommending the Rogues as well:
http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1128 (wfs)
Old 04-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Keenan Lightner

Profile:

FYI.....there is a huge demand for the Rogue Do-Win's right now. I ordered a pair 3-31 and just got them delivered today. That is actually a fairly fast turn around time but I read on a bodybuilding forum that someone had been waiting a month.

I am regretting that I did my heavy squats yesterday, because I have been waiting for these shoes like a 5 year-old at Christmas.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Dave Hancock

Profile:

I have a pair of regular Do-Wins and recently got the Rogue do-wins. I definitely like the smaller heel of the rogues. Not sure what that says about me (form, flexability). One thing I don't like about the rogues is the velcro straps are too long. They are dragging the floor on mine. I do have a narrower foot, so that may be part of the reason why.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Ryan
The Rogue Do-Wins are the first pair of Oly lifting shoes I've had, but I like them. I'd say they're worth the money if you've already got all the more important stuff like bumpers, a Pendlay bar, rings, plyo box, slam ball, a house, food, the electric bills covered, etc.

Well, maybe it ranks ahead of the electric bills.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
Kevin Mueller

Profile:

I've the got older model Adidas Equipment, the suede Do-Wins, and the Rogue Do-Wins.

The heel on the Rogues are about the same as the old Adidas, and personally I like the lower heel. The velcro strap on the suede Do-Wins are much longer and drag, but I haven't noticed it on the Rogues. Also, the Rogues feel more solid than the Suede - I always felt a bit of give in the suede, especially in the split position.

I've never done it, but I know some guys that have taken their shoes to a cobbler to have the heels lowered. For the most part that seemed to work, though one of them mentioned that he felt like the sole had a bit of a curve (front to back) to it after he had the heel lowered, but it never gave him much trouble once he got used to it.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
Ryan Stitt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Re: Ryan
The Rogue Do-Wins are the first pair of Oly lifting shoes I've had, but I like them. I'd say they're worth the money if you've already got all the more important stuff like bumpers, a Pendlay bar, rings, plyo box, slam ball, a house, food, the electric bills covered, etc.

Well, maybe it ranks ahead of the electric bills.
Patrick,
You're probably correct about the shoes as far as order of importance. I could use more bumpers and need rings and a decent bar as well. Don't do much with a slam ball though If I get all this stuff through Rogue, I don't have as much shipping

However, since the feet are the base of the lifting movements, and I would like to do a comp and do it right, I thought I should investigate. I am guessing that a properly cared for shoe will last several years. I have a pair of Adidas Nafute II shoes that have a low profile sole and a narrow stiff heel. They work alright. I kind of like them better than my Nike frees for the big lifts. Given the wait times on the rogues (although I may be an exception since I don't think size 8 is very popular), perhaps I can stop up to that affiliate and check the regular Do wins out a bit as well.

Its really hard to buy such specialty gear without being able to try it out first...granted its not like buying a car, but I like to try out all my other shoes as well.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

I had the leather DoWins and went and splurged for the Adistars. I love them. They did take a bit getting used to though.
And I would disagree that heel height is a matter of preference. I would say the heel height would be affected by lever length of your limbs in relation to back etc...

My friend who is really tall and has LONG legs was told to stay with her DoWins (lower heel). Whereas I was told (average height) that the Adistars are much better suited to my body! And this came from an Oly coach.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
William Henniger

Profile:

Dave,

I will take a look at the strap length, the folks at our training facility haven't complained about the straps. We make mods based on the feedback on this site so that is something I will look at!

Ryan,

With the volume of shoes we have shipped out there should be someone that has a pair of Rogue's for you to take a look at. So far everyone is very happy with the heel height on the new shoes.

___

We had a run of shoes that got stuck in customs hence the delay in shipping. We ordered a ton of shoes in the 10-12 sizes to offset this issue. We have all of them in stock now so they should ship next day. We have it setup now to have a new shipment every week to keep up with all the folks that want these sweet shoes!

Shoot me an email if you have any questions: bill@roguefitness.com
Old 04-15-2008, 06:12 AM   #10
Dave Hancock

Profile:

William,

If I can remember, I will try to take a picture tonight to show you. Again, my foot has always been narrow, so it may not affect fat footers.