CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-21-2005, 07:10 AM   #1
Ross Hunt

Profile:
I am finally going to get a pair of weightlifting shoes.

First: Any specific recomendations on which model to get? I was thinking of getting either the Ironwork II ($130.00) or the Adistar Weightlifting model ($170.00) off dynamic-eleiko.com.

Second, and most important: How do oly shoe sizes run? I wear 11.5s in Chuck Taylors, but I can wear 11s in some other shoes.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:21 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I have the older model of the Adistar (formerly called the "Men's Equipment" model). Unless you compete, I wouldn't spend the extra $40. The new model is a lot quieter than the old model, which I don't like. The old model makes a satisfying 'thunk' sound when you are moving your feet aggressively, the new ones sound like bathroom slippers.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
Ross Hunt

Profile:
I am competing at my first USAW-sanctioned meet in approximately six weeks. Obviously, I will not be competing at a high level yet.

Is there some advantage to the top-of-the-line shoes?

I'm pretty used to quiet. I did my first comp in a pair of these -

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/14188.jpg

- so worn down that they were practically flip-flops. I'm looking forward to a little extra snatch stability.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:17 PM   #4
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
I bought the adistar from dynamic-eleiko. I was going to buy the cheaper Iron work II but the guy said that if you have a wide foot that you might want the adistar since they are leather and the ironwork is not. Leather will stretch more. They tell you to buy them in the size that you wear a leather dress shoe. I would have rather had the adidas equipment shoe but they are sold out in my size. ....USAW has the Adistar for $155

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/ca...181705&count=1
Old 09-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #5
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
Apparently they have the Adidas equipment shoe at USAW for $125. Their website is confusing to navigate. That is a good deal.

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/ca...showprevnext=1
Old 09-21-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Ross, the real competition shoes will have a bit of a heel which will make the squatting easier. They will also be a bit more solid on the floor, a better connection to the ground. But there is no magic to them. I've seen folks compete in hiking boots, Converse All-Stars, running shoes, basketball shoes, skaters (complete with the untied laces), wrestling shoes, dress shoes, bowling shoes, you name it. Some choices are much better than others, but showing up is still the most important part of the meet.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:16 PM   #7
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
Scroll to the bottom of this page and you will find some shoes for $85.

http://zhangkongusa.com/productdirectory.html

Old 09-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #8
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Thanks for all the help, everyone. I went with the "Equipment" shoes (I have narrow feet, and I like a close fit). Apparently I got the last pair of 11s that USAW had in stock; thanks for the link, Kevin.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:37 PM   #9
Ben Krey

Profile:

I am a 10 1/2 in Chuck Taylors and 11 in the adistar weightlifting shoes... fit perfect. I have somewhat narrow feet.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:08 PM   #10
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Update:

Got my size 11 Equipments from USAW, too small. Fortunately, the folks at USAW are being very helpful, and I'm going to get a refund; good customer service. I would buy a pair of 11 1/2s from them if they have them in stock, but they don't have half-sizes above 11.

Reason that I'm posting this here:

The advisory that weightlifting shoes run one size smaller than normal does not seem to be true, at least not in my case. Buyer beware; buy from a source who will take the shoes back if they don't fit.