CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Umar Ahmed

Profile:
Unhappy Starting strength + CrossFit + Oly Lifting ??

Hi all,

Im not new to Crossfit but have not been doing it with any real consistency for one reason or another for about 6 months or so. Maybe one wod a week with oly lifting 3 times a week (was near an oly lifting club during my teacher training course last year). Before that I was crossfitting at a globo gym regularly (early 2009-early 2010). Have quit got some bumpers and built a platform in the last month .

At the moment my metcon ability is none existent and strength is poor too Im 5 10 and about 140 pounds. Current back squat pr is 200lb, best ever is 225. Dead lift is 308, Snatch 125 lb C+J 155. Ultimately I'd like to go back to 3 on 1 off with the goal of just to do the main page as rx'd.

I've been going back and forth between doing crossfit and getting stronger slower or just having a go at starting strength for a period of 6-9 weeks. I'm gravitating towards SS for a while. I had a few questions and just needed some advice ?

1. If I do starting strength should I abandon crossfit wods all together or can I do one or two a week without hindering strength gains too much ?
2. If I wan't to carry on oly lifting to ensure I dont lose the technique where should I fit that into the SS ? Could I sub it into days where SS does power cleans or should I just train oly lifting light while on SS.
3. Can I juggle 2 wods/week starting strength and and oly lifting 2x/week without blunting my strength gains too much ?

Thanks for reading and sorry its so long.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Nick Hoffman

Profile:
Re: Starting strength + CrossFit + Oly Lifting ??

If you're going to do "Starting Strength", do SS. Adding all that other stuff is not SS and will affect your ability to recover in between each training day.

Squating 3x a week is hard enough as is.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Marcus Allen

Profile:

To echo Nick...

Decide on YOUR goals

Pick ONE program to accomplish those goals.

Stick with said porogram for AT LEAST 6 weeks.

Re-evaluate, rinse and repeat.

One program will work well, mushing 2 or 3 together will not work at all.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
Marcus Allen

Profile:

This is a quote from the CFSB thread, taken from a Wendler interview.

Quote:
from the 5-3-1 article

"Don't customize: This probably applies to any program published on this site, but it especially matters for 5/3/1. You must do the program the way it's written.

"People ask the craziest ****," Wendler says, his voice getting louder again. " 'Can I combine 5/3/1 with Westside for Skinny Bastards?' Why not just do one or the other and make progress?

"These same guys then ***** three months later on some message board that the program didn't work. That's like complaining that your girl got pregnant despite you using a Trojan condom, except you forget to mention you were wearing the condom on your freakin' fingers."
While he is speaking specifically about 5-3-1, it applies to any well thought out programming.

Pick a program based on your goals, and do that program. 5-3-1 probably works, SS works, CFSB works, CFE works, CF Main Page works, CFB works, but if you mush them together, whatever you get probably won't work. Just my $.02.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umar Ahmed View Post
At the moment my metcon ability is none existent and strength is poor too Im 5 10 and about 140 pounds. Current back squat pr is 200lb, best ever is 225. Dead lift is 308, Snatch 125 lb C+J 155. Ultimately I'd like to go back to 3 on 1 off with the goal of just to do the main page as rx'd.

I've been going back and forth between doing crossfit and getting stronger slower or just having a go at starting strength for a period of 6-9 weeks. I'm gravitating towards SS for a while. I had a few questions and just needed some advice ?
You have to decide what your goals are, then go from there. If you want my personal opinion, I would do SS, maybe some LIGHT met-cons after lifting, eat a ton of food, and get your strength up.

As I said, my opinion.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Umar Ahmed

Profile:

Thanks guys. I see everyones point. I think I'll go just SS +GOMAD for at least 8 weeks though 3-4 snatches at 50% along with the power clean days should be ok I think. If the strength gains are still steady I might see if I can push it to 12 weeks.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I'm thinking of going Zone + Paleo + South Beach + Grapefruit + Cabbage Soup + Scarsdale + Slim Fast + Jenny Craig.

Is that okay?

- Mark
Old 09-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I'm thinking of going Zone + Paleo + South Beach + Grapefruit + Cabbage Soup + Scarsdale + Slim Fast + Jenny Craig.
Grapefruit interacts with Jenny Craig, canceling out the effects. Go Nutri System instead of Jenny Craig.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
Grapefruit interacts with Jenny Craig, canceling out the effects. Go Nutri System instead of Jenny Craig.
Excellent point. Thanks.

Can I do part Nutri System, part Jenny Craig?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Can I do part Nutri System, part Jenny Craig?
Only if you cut back to half a grapefruit and add mangoes to the diet.