CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Carl Amolat

Profile:
BEAR Complex as 5/3/1 Assistance Exercise

I've recently had this crazy idea enter my head. As some know I've recently begun doing a hybridization of 5/3/1 with CFE. My usual method of doing the 5/3/1 CFE hybridization usually looks like this:

5/3/1 Lift

5 min rest

METCON or CFE Strength and Conditioning WOD

3-5 minutes rest

Assistance Exercise (ex. this morning I did 3x5 Bench Press at 170lbs).

I've recently thought to do the BEAR Complex (w/f/s) as my assistance exercise for a quick three rounds at the end of the workout at a medium weight with progressively heavier weights.

Have any 5/3/1 + CrossFit users ever used something like the BEAR Complex as an assistance work? Or would you recommend it?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
Brian Negrotto

Profile:
Re: BEAR Complex as 5/3/1 Assistance Exercise

I use barbell complexes like that from time to time. The one I have for today is:

Complete 5 rounds @ 155# of:
1 Deadlift
2 Hang Power Clean
3 Push Press
4 Front Squats
5 Push Jerks

The bear complex is one of my favorites, although the way I have done it in the past, it was never for time, more of a tenacity kind of thing trying to go heavier each time and never setting it on the ground. I always get a kick of out watching how creative people will get in figuring out different ways to adjust their grip.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
I've recently had this crazy idea enter my head. As some know I've recently begun doing a hybridization of 5/3/1 with CFE. My usual method of doing the 5/3/1 CFE hybridization usually looks like this:

5/3/1 Lift

5 min rest

METCON or CFE Strength and Conditioning WOD

3-5 minutes rest

Assistance Exercise (ex. this morning I did 3x5 Bench Press at 170lbs).

I've recently thought to do the BEAR Complex (w/f/s) as my assistance exercise for a quick three rounds at the end of the workout at a medium weight with progressively heavier weights.

Have any 5/3/1 + CrossFit users ever used something like the BEAR Complex as an assistance work? Or would you recommend it?
I know I would not be able to do any type of strength work after finishing METCON. Not even as assistance exercise. Just yesterday I was on the floor for 3 min after finishing "Jack". When I finally got up all I had energy for was to drag my KB to the car
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 10-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Quote:
I use barbell complexes like that from time to time. The one I have for today is:

Complete 5 rounds @ 155# of:
1 Deadlift
2 Hang Power Clean
3 Push Press
4 Front Squats
5 Push Jerks

The bear complex is one of my favorites, although the way I have done it in the past, it was never for time, more of a tenacity kind of thing trying to go heavier each time and never setting it on the ground. I always get a kick of out watching how creative people will get in figuring out different ways to adjust their grip.
Yeah. I plan to use it in a similar fashion as a quick 3x3 of Strength assistance work post METCON. That and the Curtis P (w.f.s).
Old 10-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Eric A. Brown

Profile:

I have always had more success making my assistance work more specific. While I like complexes, to get the most out of them you do not use enough weight, as a general rule, to get as much carry-over as you would with more focused effort.

If I was going to do it I would do it later in the day (2nd workout) or on an off day.

I guess it depends on how important increasing your numbers on the big three is.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Increasing my numbers is an important thing to me. Strength, work capacity, stamina and speed are my big four as far as objectives go. That's why I use CFE (for stamina and speed stuff) and for work capcity as well and combine it with Wendler 5/3/1 for Strength.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Eric A. Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
Increasing my numbers is an important thing to me. Strength, work capacity, stamina and speed are my big four as far as objectives go. That's why I use CFE (for stamina and speed stuff) and for work capcity as well and combine it with Wendler 5/3/1 for Strength.

Ok, so I am seriously not sure how much actual assistance you will get out of the bear complex. (and yes, I like the complex).

I am a much bigger fan of making my primary assistance work address whatever my greatest weakness is on that particular lift at the time. Example (all related to my difficulties, at least the physical ones ):

Squat: when going for a 1RM I currently have problems with the hips rising coming up out of the hole and dumping the bar forward, so I am doing a lot of arched back good mornings and specific work for my hip strength, like wide-stance sumo deads, which I loathe. Also a lot of posterior chain work.

Bench: die at lockout, so I do either extra close grip work, partials of some sort (board or rack work), or some sort of extension.

Deadlift: Stick on the deck. Deficit deads, snatch grip deads, and more posterior chain work. Between my two squat days (ME and DE) I do a lot of GHR's and reverse hypers.

If I only had one exercise as an assistance exercise, it would be as strict and as focused as possible.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Carl Amolat

Profile:

I hear you. I actually did just 5/3/1 and assistance work today since CFE had a Strength and Conditioning rest. I had a full rest day yesterday so I worked on bench press and my assistance exercise was a 3x5 of strict press at 95 lbs and a 3x6 of strict pullups working on form for both exercises.