CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Starting strength + CrossFit + Oly Lifting ??

To chime in, I've been thinking that doing some Oly lifting +5-3-1 simple in the morns would be something I could fit in. It should happen soon once things for me get settled.

Either that or the 70'sBig/old CFWF oly/str program.

I find that hitting 5-3-1 is pretty simple but I've yet to try it after an oly session. I have tried it post-WOD or pre CF WOD and it's been doable or very good depending if it was post or pre. 5-3-1 is easy to bang out and I think I might just have enough gas to hit 1 lift for 5 sets rather than squat, press, pull besides the time factor.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #12
Umar Ahmed

Profile:

Right, I can partially see the stupidity in the idea, but only because my main goal at the moment is trying to get stronger as quick as I can. I'll definitely be doing crossfit +oly lifting after SS and I don't see why I could not do a cycle of 5-3-1 or black box somewhere too.

Last edited by Umar Ahmed; 09-04-2010 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Excellent point. Thanks.

Can I do part Nutri System, part Jenny Craig?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
Only if you cut back to half a grapefruit and add mangoes to the diet.
See, you need to SIMPLIFY!

Just eat grapefruit, but assign each one a point value based on circumference. Then mail yourself the grapefruit from the store and send ME your 50$ per month so I can add your points up for you!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
Brian Negrotto

Profile:

If you look up some of Gant Grimes' Hybrid stuff, his workouts are pretty much just that: Oly, ME, and WODs, usually with some kind of gym skill work thrown in, too. Lots of good information out there. Not a dumb question or idea at all and certainly does not deserve the clowning that it got.

Last edited by Brian Negrotto; 09-04-2010 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 09-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
Brian Negrotto

Profile:

Here is a link to a thread that talks about it. (WFS) Its something that you can cater to your goals, schedule, whatever. Enjoy.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #16
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I'm thinking of going Zone + Paleo + South Beach + Grapefruit + Cabbage Soup + Scarsdale + Slim Fast + Jenny Craig.

Is that okay?

- Mark
Did you ever consider adding the Hollywood Cookie Diet on every third Friday? I've heard that yields excellent results.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:55 AM   #17
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Negrotto View Post
If you look up some of Gant Grimes' Hybrid stuff, his workouts are pretty much just that: Oly, ME, and WODs, usually with some kind of gym skill work thrown in, too. Lots of good information out there. Not a dumb question or idea at all and certainly does not deserve the clowning that it got.
I don't re-call saying it was bad question, I considered it a good question. Just my opinion that if you are a true novice and building strength is one of your goals you'll probably get better mileage out of focusing on strength at first ala SS, especially since the OP said they were 5'9" and 140 pounds, some LBM could do them some good.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #18
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Negrotto View Post
Here is a link to a thread that talks about it. (WFS) Its something that you can cater to your goals, schedule, whatever. Enjoy.
Brian, Gant's program (like CFSB) is actually an intermediate or advanced program. I'm a huge fan of what Gant has created, but the original advice (before the diet silliness) was spot on for the OP. Do a simple beginners program, follow through, and re-evaluate.

--bingo
Old 09-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #19
Mike McGee

Profile:

Whenever someone brings up these questions about should I mix A with B or B with C, etc... Of course first and foremost "goals" and "experience" should always be the focus, but I don't see why they catch so much slack. Most of the people that ask these questions are those that work out on their own. They don't have the luxury or don't want to go to an affiliate. Many of them want to add more barbell/ strength training work to what they are currently doing. Let's be honest, if you follow the main site, you don't do a whole lot of weight lifting. Over the past year, only 24% of the WODs contained weightlifting in some form or fashion. Information courtsey of the withfit website. (WFS) I don't see how adding some extra strength training in is going to hurt. There are plenty off affiliates that offer strength WODs in addition to their daily WODs. CrossFit Football and CrossFit Montclair (Guerrilla Fitness), just to name a couple. We should be guiding this person in the right direction not deriding them for asking the question.

That being said, Umar, if all your worried about is strength, do SS. I wouldn't even worry about the olympic lifts. You'll be doing plenty of weightlifting on SS. You can however, do some skill work in the other lifts, but focus on the core 5. Once you are strong and proficient in them, everything else will fall into place with time and training. If you feel you need to add in CrossFit WODs, which I am assuming would be mostly bodyweight stuff, you'll probably still make gains, but it might take a little longer. Probably the two biggest factors to consider are diet and sleep. Make sure you eat and sleep enough to support recovery. If you feel like you are not getting enough recovery, take a day off.

Last edited by Mike McGee; 09-09-2010 at 06:18 AM..
Old 09-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #20
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
Brian, Gant's program (like CFSB) is actually an intermediate or advanced program. I'm a huge fan of what Gant has created, but the original advice (before the diet silliness) was spot on for the OP. Do a simple beginners program, follow through, and re-evaluate.

--bingo
Correct me if I'm wrong, bingo, but wasn't your and Jeff's definition of "intermediate" different than the standard strength training's definition, which refers to the adaptation ability of the athlete?

I thought you guys said that a CFSB athlete just needs enough experience with the lifts to a) have good form and b) be able to make intelligent decisions about one's training, adapt metcons to be heavier, and gauge one's recovery. I thought the intermediate tag was a warning that it's not a mindless program that you have spoonfed to you, you need to think.

I haven't looked at Gant's hybrid program recently, but I thought it was similar in nature