CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #1
Dave G Clarke

Profile:
First thing in the morning

Not sure if this is the right place for this particular thread, but here goes anyway.

Oh yeah, I also tried the search function, but couldn't quite nail what terms to use to get the best result.

Does anyone train first thing in the morning? I mean like within 1 hour of getting out of bed. And not just bodyweight stuff, but heavy lifting stuff.

At the mo' it seems like this is the best time in my day to work out, but then I've heard that working out first thing can be uber bad for your spine because of the little sac thingies between the vertebrae.

What think ye of this?

Dave
Old 07-14-2009, 04:14 AM   #2
Matth Challoner

Profile:
Re: First thing in the morning

ive never heard about working out first thing in the morning being bad for your spine,i would like to hear what people in the know think about it,but i always work out in the morning 1 hour after waking and my spine feels strong
Old 07-14-2009, 04:19 AM   #3
Alex McClung

Profile:

I've been working out around 4:30 am for about three years now; injury free. The PRs are slow but remain steady. Seems like a matter of common sense, warming up, stretching, and disciplined mechanics.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Ramon Davila

Profile:

Quote form the starting strength faq web site about best time to lift heavy
"
Best Time to Train What is the best time to train?
First and foremost, when you can! However, research on circadian rhythms (your body's internal clock) indicate that the summation of several important (anabolic) hormones peak at 3 and 11 hours upon awakening. What does that mean in plain english? Well, according to science, if you wake up at 6:00 am, you are at your strongest at 9:00 am and 5:00 pm. And, according to Olympic Strength Coach Charles Poliquin*, your joints (specifically, the synovial fluid that lubricates your joints) require about 3 hours to reach an optimal level of warmth which will help improve performance while decreasing the likelihood of injury. Also, some people require a meal before training (remember to allow at least 1 hour for digestion) to maintain adequate energy levels throughout their workout particularly in the morning; others don't. However, there is a difference between ideal conditions and reality!Reality dictates that we train when we can regardless of what time it is. The important part is to get your workout in. Today's lifestyle is quite busy and hectic. Many people have a tendency to jeopardize their workouts later in the day because other priorities get in the way. For these individuals, I suggest working out first thing in the morning and getting it out of the way. Actually, some authorities believe that training first thing in the morning on an empty stomach will facilitate weight loss."
Old 07-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Justin Shipley

Profile:

All sound advice, but the cynic in me pounces upon one point:
Poliquin claims that synovial fluid requires 'warming up' to a certain level for optimal performance....

A. How does one's synovial fluid drop below the (presumably body) temperature of the surrounding tissues, as we sleep?; and

B. What is this temperature, and what does it rise to in order to perform at optimal levels?

...Look, i think we all have some idea what he's getting at; there's no question that ones' joints feel stiff when we first awake, and gradually 'warm up' and loosen and become a little more mobile as the day goes on, but i suspect Poliquin is taking the whole 'warming' part a little too literally.

...I know, I know...it's nitpicking, but it's early; my first post of the day; and I don't have a dog that i can kick close at hand...
Old 07-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
S.S.

Profile:

I believe if you're serious about CrossFit, you should vary up the time at which you train just as you should vary your duration and your modalities that you train.

This article here suggests that for men, the early evening is the best time to train, since testosterone to cortisol ratios are highest during that time.
http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/news/time.htm
(it's wfs)
Old 07-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
This article here suggests that for men, the early evening is the best time to train
That's when I'm most psyched up for a training session, especially if there are heavy things to be thrown.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Kevin Ziegenhorn

Profile:

I usually work out in the mornings but have found that I perform best in the mid-late afternoon. I haven't had any back injuries as a result of morning workouts.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
Michael Dries

Profile:

I seem to have more energy in the morning a few hours after i wake up.

late afternoon/early evening... i dunno most of the time i feel drained before I even start the WOD.

experiment. Everyone is different.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
Steven Matheson

Profile:

What, your search yielded no results for "little sack?" Maybe the steroid thread!