CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
Chad Steinwolf

Profile:
Jump Rope Recommendations

I just started doing CrossFit and am pretty bad at double unders. I completely get that it's probably 99.99% technique and proper sizing, but for practicing at home or even bringing to the gym, is there a user friendly rope? Think of the Callaway big bertha of jump ropes.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
Mike D'Amato

Profile:
Re: Jump Rope Recommendations

I started with an Rx Smart Gear rope with the 3.4 buff (pretty heavy) coated cable when I was learning. The heavier cables provide more feedback so it's easier to "feel" the rope position, but are more of a workout to jump with and aren't fun to whip yourself with (built in motivation to learn quickly?! )

After a while of 5-10 minutes of dedicated practice a couple times a week I was somewhat proficient I moved to a Elite 2.6 cable for the Rx rope. A few months later after I could string 30+ together consistently I switched to a RPM speed rope with the uncoated cable and still use this setup today. Mine is the older version 1 rope, which was all they used to sell.

The Rx Smart Gear site below has a lot of good reading on ordering the correct size and the differences in the cable weight and coated vs. uncoated cables. While the RPM ropes are adjustable and does have a coated cable option now, the Rx is a better beginning rope IMO.

Rx Smart Gear, WFS: http://www.rxsmartgear.com/rx-jump-ropes/
RPM ropes, WFS: https://rpmfitness.com/

One thing to note is that most cables fray very quickly if you use them on rough concrete/asphalt. We jump either indoors or put down a rubber mat or board for outside use. For a multipurpose airplane-friendly rope I still travel with a old-style rubber one too.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #3
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

I would recommend the boxer's training rope from buyjumpropes: http://www.buyjumpropes.net/boxers-training-rope/ WFS

$9.99 and it performs better than 90% of the ropes I have used. Heck, I use their school licorice ropes most of the time because they are cheap, portable, and easy to adjust. Keep in mind I also have owned a cable rope, and a buddy lee bearing jump rope! I still would recommend this rope over the cable and buddy lee.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

I started with an Rx, it was good to begin with because it was heavy and it kept me from getting too far ahead of myself. But once I became proficient the heavy Rx would wear my forearms out too quickly and hindered me. I got an SR-1 from Rogue and it's still my favorite. I like the long handles, it's very light and fast. I'm interested in trying the new Froning rope they have, only because it appears to be an improved upon SR-1.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
Richard Foote

Profile:

I had been using a simple speed rope form Buy Jump Ropes, but the bearings finally wore out after a couple years use.

I just ordered the SR-1F Froning rope from Rogue, can't wait to try it out.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
Jeremy Lockhart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
I started with an Rx, it was good to begin with because it was heavy and it kept me from getting too far ahead of myself. But once I became proficient the heavy Rx would wear my forearms out too quickly and hindered me. I got an SR-1 from Rogue and it's still my favorite. I like the long handles, it's very light and fast. I'm interested in trying the new Froning rope they have, only because it appears to be an improved upon SR-1.
There's zero difference except for the little rubberized part on the handle... and an unexpectedly shorter cable which was an issue for me since I needed about 119'' of the 120'' cable but somehow the Froning cables came out short which they have since updated on their site.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Lockhart View Post
There's zero difference except for the little rubberized part on the handle... and an unexpectedly shorter cable which was an issue for me since I needed about 119'' of the 120'' cable but somehow the Froning cables came out short which they have since updated on their site.
Really? That's kind of upsetting but I guess I shouldn't have expected much. I thought the handles rotated, where the grey meets the black. If it's more comfortable and not heavier I may still be interested, but not nearly as much.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
Jon Campbell

Profile:

I use the R1 speed rope from JumpNrope. It's not expensive and a great rope.