CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-15-2008, 07:23 AM   #1
Jennifer Patten

Profile:
Broken tailbone?

About 3 weeks ago I gave cross country skiing a try and ended up falling down several times. By the end my tailbone was pretty sore, but I figured it was just a little bruised and contiued about my normal routine.

Now three weeks later it isn't really any better and the heavy deadlifts on Sunday actually seem to have made things worse. Sitting is uncomfortable (the 5 k row was really painful) and the transition between standing and sitting is also uncomfortable (so pretty much any sort of squatting motion).

These are my questions for anyone who has any experience with tailbone injuries:

1) Is the really any point in seeing a doctor about this? It's not as if they can set a tailbone, right?

2) Should I take time off from training, or continue to push through the discomfort? I guess I'm really wondering if training will compromise/delay my recovery in any way. And if I do need to take time off, how much? How long does it take a tailbone to heal?

3) If I should take a break from CFing, can I at least continue to do upper body exercises like deadhang pull-ups (kipping hurts my tailbone), dips and shoulder press? Also are walking and running ok since standing is more comfortable than sitting?

Thank you in advance for any advice
Old 02-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Broken tailbone?

1. wfs http://www.aurorahealthcare.org/your...211953.html%22

2. When does pushing through pain ever do someone good?

As for a timetable the above article esimates. What is generally true is that it DEPENDS. Always. Everyone is different and they have different rates of healing. Learn this now so you don't have to ask again later!

3. Injuries are a good time to work on your weaknesses like flexibility and upper body strength (if it's lower) and lower body strength (if it's upper).

Refer to #1 for more injury management.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Hasib Saliefendic

Profile:
Re: Broken tailbone?

Hi Jennifer,

I had a similar problem twenty or so years ago, resulting from a stupid dance floor move. Someone thought they'd be funny and knee me playfully in the butt, but nailed me square on the tailbone, probably harder than they planned.

At first it was a paralyzing shot of pain, and I could not sit comfortably without pain for over six months. It felt dislocated.

Finally I got relief when I was getting rolfed (rolfing is a form of deep tissue massage/myofascial release) and mentioned it. The massage was done on both sides of the tailbone and massaging upwards (up the spine), in the theory that it would help pull it back into place or that the muscles around it contracted to protect it. That did seem to help, as I could tell that in a couple days it was better, and a few weeks later the pain was gone.

Not sure if that's any help to you, but good luck with it.

Hasib