CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
Jeff Merage

Profile:  
Hey all,
I'm just starting out with CF, and I've just started taking Jiu Jitsu & Kick Boxing. Should I try to do the 3 On/1 Off WOD's and martial arts, or should I replace one of the 3 days with my martial arts training.
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
John Vivian

Profile:
Welcome, Jeff!

i suggest starting slowly with CrossFit. Make sure you have read both "Start Here!" and the FAQ on the main page (left side) before getting going. You will probably want to scale back on the workouts (lighter weights, fewer reps / sets, slower pace) while you ramp up. Give it about a month or so before stepping up the intensity.

In terms of how to schedule your workouts, if you can stick with the 3 on 1 off, great. That said, depending on how intense your MA classes are, you will likely need to temper and taper your workouts so you don't over train. At least for the first while. If your MA classes are pretty intense, then replacing a CF workout with a heavy MA class would seem to be fine.

Hope this helps.

john
Old 01-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
Jeff Merage

Profile:  
John,
Thanks for the reply. I plan to scale back the intensity on the WOD's as you suggest, but am concerned about recovery time. I was thinking I would try the following schedule;

Day 1 - MA, Day 2 - CF, Day 3 - CF, Day 4 - rest
Day 5 - MA, Day 6 - CF, Day 7 - rest.

Do you see any problems with this type of schedule?
Old 01-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Jeff - what level of activity were you doing before all this? If you are going from sedentary, then move slowly. If you were already quite active and just changing what you do now, then the schedule you suggest is fine.

Eventually, you will be able to do crossfit workouts on the same day as your martial arts. Most folks separate them by 4-5 hours. But that will be a lot to start with.

Work into crossfit over a month or so.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:34 PM   #5
Jeff Merage

Profile:  
Beth,
I've been weight-lifting 4 days a week with heavy weight & low reps, consistently for about 6 months. Mainly Squats, Deadlift, Bench, Pull-ups and OH Press. Everything slow. It's the high intensity / high speed stuff that mainly concerns me.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:36 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Jeff, sounds like you have a decent base (don't like the slow stuff though). CF is a General Physical Preperation (GPP) program-plus. CF expects you to add additional training, either skill training for your sport or skill training to make your workouts better (pull-ups, gymnastics, etc.). Most workouts will take 20 minutes or less. Slowly work up to the 3/1 schedule. Practice fitness skills (pullups, handstands, etc) in your warm-up; you could also practice MA skills in warmup (footwork, kicking, shadow boxing, forms, etc.).
Old 01-27-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Hey Jeff,

I agree with Larry. Take your time but learn what intensity means. Use the best form you can while pushing really hard. Coach often says that when someone says they took a keg of beer up the ten flights of stairs, he wants to know how long it took before determining how much work was done.

These workouts are intense and usually martial arts workouts are closer to this than typical weight lifting workouts.

Enjoy. You should have fun and see great results.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Carry a keg of beer up 10 flights of stairs, post time to comments.

Now there is a WOD i'd like to see!

I'd agree with what the other guys have said. Once you have got a bit more experience with both crossfit and your MA then it can also be very enlightening to do a killer WOD then attempt to survive 2 hours of martial arts practice.

If you do that a few times and get used to the fatigue when you get to a comp well rested you will destroy people with less conditioning. However i wouldn't suggest this approach until you have been at it for 6 months or so.