CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
PART 1 - Idea we have to better 'GAMIFY / REFERRAL-IZE' our Box - Feedback wanted

Just to be clear, our small group of merry men are in the process of affiliating our little garage box.

OPPORTUNITY
We have this kid in our little garage box group. Him and his class mates need a project for their Masters in Business Software Engineering. He's come to me wanting to do something PT focused. Essentially he's asked "is there anything you do in your club that would be better off if it was automated".

Just to be clear, neither I (with corporate software implementation experience), not the student, have the experience to create a marketable product, and this isn't our goal. So this thread isn't me advertising. We just want something that would work in our own box.

IDEA
I haven't done a thorough search to see if this solution already exists, but I have yet to find an application that successfully "Gamifies" member fitness gains.

Just in case you haven't heard of "Gamification" here's a link
Link

The Leaderboard on Wodify (for example) is a form of gamification, it creates competition, motivation, is a source of goal setting. But I'm talking about something far more elaborate and engaging, that not only draws our members in far more aggressively (we've all heard of how addictive farmville was), but also lends itself better to referral activities (marketing).

FEATURE LIST
Some ideas
Imagine a online / phone / facebook app
- Yes there's a leaderboard like we see on other programs
- Yes there's a 'fitness score' mechanism like we see on BTWB etc

But
- The athlete gets medals and trophies for certain accomplishments. I.e. first handstand walk, reached intermediate level Deadlift, reached 20% body fat.
- They can go to their own dashboard and see their fitness score, lifts graph trophy case, goals. etc.
- The program alerts the assistant coach of when a benchmark is achieved and it is videoed for the athlete and is automatically added to their social media feed. Great for referral advertising.

This may seem simply, or like a lot of work, but I'd be surprised if it didn't generate a huge increase in referral conversions.

And again, I haven't really seen any software that does it well yet.

Any thoughts, our athletes have already jumped at the idea they all LOVE it.

Sean
Old 08-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: PART 1 - Idea we have to better 'GAMIFY / REFERRAL-IZE' our Box - Feedback wanted

Bump Bump
Old 08-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
Patrick A Horsman

Profile:
Re: PART 1 - Idea we have to better 'GAMIFY / REFERRAL-IZE' our Box - Feedback wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J Hunter View Post
Just to be clear, our small group of merry men are in the process of affiliating our little garage box.

OPPORTUNITY
We have this kid in our little garage box group. Him and his class mates need a project for their Masters in Business Software Engineering. He's come to me wanting to do something PT focused. Essentially he's asked "is there anything you do in your club that would be better off if it was automated".

Just to be clear, neither I (with corporate software implementation experience), not the student, have the experience to create a marketable product, and this isn't our goal. So this thread isn't me advertising. We just want something that would work in our own box.

IDEA
I haven't done a thorough search to see if this solution already exists, but I have yet to find an application that successfully "Gamifies" member fitness gains.

Just in case you haven't heard of "Gamification" here's a link
Link

The Leaderboard on Wodify (for example) is a form of gamification, it creates competition, motivation, is a source of goal setting. But I'm talking about something far more elaborate and engaging, that not only draws our members in far more aggressively (we've all heard of how addictive farmville was), but also lends itself better to referral activities (marketing).

FEATURE LIST
Some ideas
Imagine a online / phone / facebook app
- Yes there's a leaderboard like we see on other programs
- Yes there's a 'fitness score' mechanism like we see on BTWB etc

But
- The athlete gets medals and trophies for certain accomplishments. I.e. first handstand walk, reached intermediate level Deadlift, reached 20% body fat.
- They can go to their own dashboard and see their fitness score, lifts graph trophy case, goals. etc.
- The program alerts the assistant coach of when a benchmark is achieved and it is videoed for the athlete and is automatically added to their social media feed. Great for referral advertising.

This may seem simply, or like a lot of work, but I'd be surprised if it didn't generate a huge increase in referral conversions.

And again, I haven't really seen any software that does it well yet.

Any thoughts, our athletes have already jumped at the idea they all LOVE it.

Sean
of the two you have proposed, this one is the winner, but i dont see how you can do it as well as BTWb or for as cheap since they already ahve access to their code, and what you would be asking them to add for a feature would actually be relatively easy (i mean, they already ahve the PR lighting bolt, fitness level, body fat etc and have been adding trophies - you are jsut looking for a social media back link at this point)
Old 08-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick A Horsman View Post
of the two you have proposed, this one is the winner, but i dont see how you can do it as well as BTWb or for as cheap since they already ahve access to their code, and what you would be asking them to add for a feature would actually be relatively easy (i mean, they already ahve the PR lighting bolt, fitness level, body fat etc and have been adding trophies - you are jsut looking for a social media back link at this point)
Thanks for the reply Patrick,

You and I are in agreement here. There is already a number of great solutions out there, but frankly none of them quite do what I think is necessary to achieve maximum member engagement and referral opportunity.

The first step of the project is to see if we can create an API app that simply adds functionality to an existing program.

Any thoughts

Sean