CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
Chris Brigham

Profile:
Zone vs Renaissance Diet

Looking for advice regarding the two (from what I see very different) formats of diet plans. I am attempting weight loss and have done a fair amount (in my mind) of research looking at the best methods. I purchased the RP diet and have compared it to the typical Zone that CF RXs. My main issue is the carb amounts , not the timing but the amount.

For a 250lb male, doing moderate activity
Zone has me at P 28/ C36/ F6 (4 blocks) totaling 140/180/30 for day
RP has me at P 50 (for all 5 meals) C 79,212,185,26,26 (prework, post work, post post work, and the rest time) total or P250/C530/F132

The carb amount scares the **** out of me... I don't really want to wait 4-6 months to see if this will workout... anythought?
Old 01-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Zone vs Renaissance Diet

That is a ton of food for trying to lose weight, you are looking at around 4300 calories on that macro count. On the other hand, the zone one has you at under 1600 calories which is far too low for someone your size and activity level. I would just stick to around 200-250 grams of protein (still probably more than you need) and then cut the carbs and fats a decent amount from the renaissance diet until you start seeing the weight loss you are expecting (not more than 1 lb per week). I have no clue what your TDEE is so you will have to do some experimenting.

But yeah, both of those macro quantities seem off to me.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Do you typically have trouble leaning out? What is your diet like now? Have you ever spent time on a high fat diet? Do you feel like you have low blood sugar if you miss a meal or two? How many blocks is that? Looks to be quite low. I am most likely going to advise against that high carb Renaissance diet, but need a bit more background before doing so, diets are a very personal thing and they will vary for each person depending on many factors like fat gain/loss history, activity type, goals, personal preferences etc.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I have no ****ing idea how you intend to lose any weight at 4300 kcals/day unless your TDEE is around 4800-5300.

Which eithers means you are a big son of a gun or super duper active doing some kind of long cardio or are a swimmer or in the military/deployed.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I have no ****ing idea how you intend to lose any weight at 4300 kcals/day unless your TDEE is around 4800-5300.

Which eithers means you are a big son of a gun or super duper active doing some kind of long cardio or are a swimmer or in the military/deployed.
A buddy of mine was actually losing fat at +500g of carbs a day. Granted he owns a crossfit box and certainly burns more calories than most throughout the course of the day but still, that's a lot to eat and still burn fat. So while possible (and incredibly unlikely for most people) it sure wouldn't be the starting place I would recommend.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yeah, I can see it happening but it would just take a VERY active lifestyle.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
Patrick A Horsman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
That is a ton of food for trying to lose weight, you are looking at around 4300 calories on that macro count. On the other hand, the zone one has you at under 1600 calories which is far too low for someone your size and activity level. I would just stick to around 200-250 grams of protein (still probably more than you need) and then cut the carbs and fats a decent amount from the renaissance diet until you start seeing the weight loss you are expecting (not more than 1 lb per week). I have no clue what your TDEE is so you will have to do some experimenting.

But yeah, both of those macro quantities seem off to me.

Lets slow down here for a minute. This is a common problem with how people interpret the Zone diet.

In the Zone diet you only count the dominant macro from each food towards your block count. For instance ground beef only gets counted once, as a protein block, not as both protein and fat blocks (there are some exceptions but they are clearly noted in the food guide). You cannot take a zone block prescription of macros and convert it to calories - there are more calories in the majority of foods than just those from the dominant macro.

In fact, the block prescription itself assumes an additional 1.5 g of fat for every 7 g of protein (hence why blocks of fat are 1.5, not 3 grams). Given calories from fat we would be looking at way more than 1600 cals.

Chris,

At 250 pounds and fairly active I would be starting you off around 22-23 blocks, you seem to have yourself at 20. Remember this isn't a crash diet - you need to keep fueling the furnace. You don't want to starve the muscle off your body. The zone diet isn't for everybody - you have to be neurotic with your counting. As you start to level off then knock off another block or two.

I don't think the renaissance diet is a bad idea either. For a second opinion try the eat to perform calculator to see where it puts you.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Or instead of messing with blocks which seem to be complicated for no reason (as you noted from the fact that you cannot translate X grams of protein to Y calories because it assumes you have Z grams of fat built in as well) he could just focus on his protein, carb, and fat consumption.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:37 PM   #9
Chris Brigham

Profile:

most of you are saying what I have been worried about, the amount of food they want me to take in. playing with carbs is a new thing for me, I am finding the timing is easy for me to handle when i am not working, however when i am working (LEO) my job can pull my meals away for hours (which has happened a few times already). I can't say how active i am, I work 12.5 hour shifts constantly moving, I train at least 5 days a week, and I am surfing about 2 times a week as well, not counted as workout just calorie burning time. I am a classic endomorph body type, i have no problem putting on weight, but leaning is a harder for me then explaining patience to a 2 year old. my concern is simply that for simple food sake, in the last month I have taken away all soda, all fast food, all bread pasta etc. I am doing my best to eat as clean as I can, but i just can't seem to lose the weight, my coach thinks i should back off my strength training and focus more on running and body weight met cons, and that I will have to live with some (10-15%) of strength loss during the time.... I am just losing my mind with the lack of progress I am seeing or rather not seeing, I drink plenty of water... and yet lately I have been victim of 2 (in one week) large very painful muscle spams in my trap/neck area... don't now if that is connected, but I am now scheduled to see my doctor about this issue and more.... thank you for your advice
Old 02-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
Phil Washlow

Profile:

My advice is to try a ketogenic diet for at least a month, I had a lot of trouble leaning out in the past, did a ketogenic diet for about 3 months and now I have much more control over my body fat levels. Learn about it here www.eatingacademy.com (wfs)