CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
Scott Simmonds

Profile:
Attracting Members Over 50 Years Old

I've visited several CF boxes. The members are almost all under 40 - the under 30 crowd is huge.

I'm 54.

I think there is a huge market for CF for old-farts (Im thinking of having T-Shirts made).

As a box owner I would think you'd want to attract "me" to your box:

-I have free time.

-I can come to your box in the middle of the day when most younger people are at work.

-I have lots of disposable income.

-I dont have the life-drama those in their 20s and 30s have.

-I know how to listen to a coach - my ego is already deflated by age.

-Did I mention I have money and time?

What are you doing to attract old-farts to CrossFit?

Am I correct that we are a desirable demographic?

(BTW, my box has been very accommodating to me and I love working out with the younger, more athletic, kids. None of the above should be seen as a complaint. The boxes I have visited have all been welcoming. One even had a Masters class just for us OFs.)
Old 12-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #2
Patrick A Horsman

Profile:
Re: Attracting Members Over 50 Years Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simmonds View Post
I've visited several CF boxes. The members are almost all under 40 - the under 30 crowd is huge.

I'm 54.

I think there is a huge market for CF for old-farts (Im thinking of having T-Shirts made).

As a box owner I would think you'd want to attract "me" to your box:

-I have free time.

-I can come to your box in the middle of the day when most younger people are at work.

-I have lots of disposable income.

-I dont have the life-drama those in their 20s and 30s have.

-I know how to listen to a coach - my ego is already deflated by age.

-Did I mention I have money and time?

What are you doing to attract old-farts to CrossFit?

Am I correct that we are a desirable demographic?

(BTW, my box has been very accommodating to me and I love working out with the younger, more athletic, kids. None of the above should be seen as a complaint. The boxes I have visited have all been welcoming. One even had a Masters class just for us OFs.)
How about a Masters class? Would you take that as patronizing or a welcome attempt to cater to you?

What about a "generation" challenge? Invite younger members to bring older generations or older members to bring their kids. Like a family day.

A fundamentals session geared towards functional range of motion - marketed towards maintaining independence?
Old 12-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Scott Simmonds

Profile:

I like the idea of a Masters class. Not sure how it could be seen as patronizing. Telling me I had to be in a masters class would **** me off - I cant think anyone would do that though.

There has to be critical mass. Classes of less than 5 are less "fun" I think (my opinion perhaps not shared.) I have been the only one in a class several times - I like it for the attention I get. Though my coach is quite attentive to all of us - even when there is 9 or more in a class.

The box I visited held the masters class at 9:00 as I recall. There were 8 or so in the class who were masters then two who were not. Nobody raised a fuss about the youngsters - the class was clearly for old dubs though.

I like the idea of "Bring Your Parents to WOD Day" Do mobility and a team workout.

The owner of my box had an onramp class last night and mentioned a father and daughter showed up - @35 yr old father and 16 yr old daughter. How cool is that?

I say again, I think the over 50 demographic is a huge opportunity for CF affiliates - the devil is in how to get them/us in the door.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I think it may also have a lot to do with the community in which the gym sits. The suburban neighborhood surrounding my gym is largely comprised of single family dwellings. Unlike the gyms in the more urban neighborhoods north of me that draw a lot of 20-something's, the average age of members at my gym is probably 35, with more than a third of my members being 40 or older.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:17 AM   #5
Scott Simmonds

Profile:

What events have you tried that brought in a demographic that is different from what your box usually sees?

With the holidays family is on everyone's mind. Have a Saturday session where members bring family and friends in for a mobility session and a newbie-friendly team WOD.

End with an intro to Paleo to bring nutrition into the conversation.

Bring your father to CrossFit Day.

If you have tried a session like this what worked? What didn't work?