CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
Scott Simmonds

Profile:
Hire Slow - Fire Fast

I have never seen an instance where a bad employee became a good employee.

Rarely have I seen a situation where a business owner ultimately fired an employee that they did not wish they had done it sooner.

Bad employees cause much sweat and tears - and sometimes blood.

I counsel my clients to hire only after much deliberation and time. The hiring process should cause most applicants to give up - weeding themselves out. If you have any doubts about a prospective employee I say keep looking.

Consider the damage a bad coach can have on your business. Think of the drama and impact on your athletes.

Taking on a new coach is full of opportunities for tests and auditions. Mentoring new coaches before they are hired is a great way to see how things will work. See them in the trenches.

I'm quite interested to hear the tricks, tools, and strategies you use when hiring new employees and coaches.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
Patrick A Horsman

Profile:
Re: Hire Slow - Fire Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simmonds View Post
I have never seen an instance where a bad employee became a good employee.

Rarely have I seen a situation where a business owner ultimately fired an employee that they did not wish they had done it sooner.

Bad employees cause much sweat and tears - and sometimes blood.

I counsel my clients to hire only after much deliberation and time. The hiring process should cause most applicants to give up - weeding themselves out. If you have any doubts about a prospective employee I say keep looking.

Consider the damage a bad coach can have on your business. Think of the drama and impact on your athletes.

Taking on a new coach is full of opportunities for tests and auditions. Mentoring new coaches before they are hired is a great way to see how things will work. See them in the trenches.

I'm quite interested to hear the tricks, tools, and strategies you use when hiring new employees and coaches.
Scott,

I'm a trained Industrial/Organmizational psychologist and ahve worked in Personnel Selection for the miltiary for years. I agree with you on all counts, and in some cases have witnessed the full effect the burden of hiring the wrong person for a job can create.

I would make a number of suggestions to any affilaite owner looking to hire, especially that often sought full time coach to man the ship

1) Do a job analysis. You don't have to hire a fancy consultant (like me) to do this for you. Job analysis simply means having a thorough understanding of the knowledge, skills, and abilities you require from your ideal candidate and what tasks they are going to be expected to perform. "Be a good Crossfitter" or "coach" is not enough. Are they going to have to teach fundamentals? do seminars? Marketing? Use your software system? You need to identify all these things before you start your search.

2) Don't be afraid of testing. Testing gets a bad wrap in the land of the free as a dirty word, but in its true sense test does not mean paper and pencil/knowledge most of the time. A test is anything that tells you something about a candidate, preferably in some quantifiable way. You may wish to issue some form of knowledge test, conduct a structured interview with situational or behavioural questions, capture a work sample of them coaching a class, or devise some other mechanism based on the tasks they will have to perform. These items tell you far more about a candidate than the dreaded common three, which scientifically speaking tell you nothing. My best piece of advice is never make decisions based only on biographical data: Resumes, certifications held, and references only draw for us a very small part of the picture of a candidates ability, yet they are what people tend to rely on most in hiring.

3) Give a realistic Job preview. Sit them down, have a talk about your expectations and then have them shadow you for a day to see what you do and how you want it done. In most cases people who do not want to conform to your method or who had different expectations about the job will self-select out. This is a good thing. You don't want to hire someone only to have them be unsatisfied and leave afterwards. Your members get attached to coaches quickly, especially good ones, and will be left dumbfounded when they leave.

I could go on about this topic for hours, but these are the first three thigns that came to mind.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
Scott Simmonds

Profile:
Re: Hire Slow - Fire Fast

Consider the model of minor league baseball. Players try out for the team. If the are GOOD enough they get to play.

When their skills or contribution to the team drops below what someone else can provide they told that the team is making a change.

No drama. No long period of whispers and grumbles. The members of the team are on the team to do a job. The success of the team is what is important.