CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
Matthew Bragoni

Profile:
CrossFit and existing injuries

All,
Great community, love the support.

I've suffered two significant injuries in the past few years which have kept me away from CrossFit. While CrossFit looks incredibly appealing to me (holistic body approach, variety, real-life body movement), I'm wary that it complicate existing injuries.

First, I had a herniated disc and subsequent surgery a few years ago. I've got a gnarly scar and have had a weak lower back ever since.

Second, both my shoulders have some range of motion issues due to an old combatives injury. I'm receiving physical therapy to help improve where I am, but I still don't have full range of motion. My left shoulder is significantly worse than my right and I have a hard time lifting objects more than 20lbs above shoulder height.

With these two injuries, is it smart to jump into CrossFit? If so, what should I be wary of?

Not complaining; I see people with much more significant physical injuries become CrossFit monsters. I just want to ensure I don't do anything to aggravate my existing injuries.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Kristin Bowers

Profile:
Re: CrossFit and existing injuries

Personally speaking I would consult a doctor first. With spine problems it just isn't worth it to take a chance like that.

On a personal note I did get clearance from a doc for CF after a car accident and it has significantly helped my pain and made my lower back a lot stronger.

Please remember if you do go ahead and jump right in, that you need to scale scale scale, don't do more than your body can handle. This is not about having the highest numbers and competing with others at this stage.

Good luck
Old 12-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: CrossFit and existing injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Bragoni View Post
With these two injuries, is it smart to jump into CrossFit? If so, what should I be wary of?
No it is not smart to jump into any physical activity with that injury history.

It is the jump in part that is a bad idea.

Now if you want to easy into it carefully under a coaches eye absolutely give it a try.

As a coach when people with a back ground like yours come to me my answer is always "I don't know we will have to go slowly, carefully and see how it works out". In most cases, but not all, the person can do modified CrossFit while strengthening the weak area and improving the range of motion. As things get stronger and move better the person can increase slowly what they are doing.

So find an older more experienced coach who can clearly articulate his or her approach to working with someone like you. You don't want a young hotshot competitor coach. You want someone who has either personal injury recovery experience or at least is old enough to understand the human body is not indestructible.

Remember the goal is a long physically healthy life. You might need to work on this stuff for a year or more but the payoff later in life will be huge.