CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #21
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: Murph Tactics

I use a little (~4"x10") $5 magnetic whiteboard I got from target - definitely helps with counting and has help solve my crossfit-brain. (the gym owners saw this and bought a whole bunch of them too - so everyone uses it). Makes life real easy. To count rounds, either write 1, 2, 3, 4 or 1 1 1 1 etc and swipe the number (is easier and pen doesn't run out too). Or, draw a line and make a swipe mark through the line. The latter is better for AMRAPs where it doesn't matter how many rounds you've done until the end. The 1, 2, 3 is best for things like "do 10 rounds of x".
Can also write down the wod (chippers especially) and rep schemes easy enough too - like the front loading of squats for 15 rounds etc.

Last edited by Clint Harris : 04-25-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Did it today w/vest. Did it "Cindy" style which is how I have always done it. I did 30 squats at the end so I would not have to go squats directly into the run. Next time I will go 5-10-20 to get squats out of the way.

As usual the last mile is gnarly. I ended up doing tabata runs/sprints since my mind was gone and my run/jog pace was pathetic. Much nicer counting one-one thousand etc.

47:23 maintaining my usual "Marshall" speed. Faster and "easier" than last year.

Have fun
Old 05-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #23
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Interesting everyone is worried about the second run and squats.

For myself the squats get tiring but they are not the issue. I'm a good runner.

The push-ups are always my weak point. So this year's strategy will be 20 x 5 pull - 5 push -15 squats -5 push ups. I expect this will remove a significant amount of rest time that was taken during the push ups in previous attempts.

I would like to go:
8:00 mile
20 rounds inside in 25 minutes
8:00 mile

That would be a 41:00 Murph no vest.

We shall see.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #24
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

That would be pretty nice.
Quote:
5 pull - 5 push -15 squats -5 push ups
I'm thinking about doing this. Bah.

The pushups suck hard, the squats suck but moreso the 2nd run is rough if you come off the squats. I remember the first 1/4 mile/lap was just putting one foot in front of the other. It gets better in the 2nd lap but it's still not as fast as the first lap.

But if I do it, I'm gonna do it unbroken. I can't count to 20 anymore these days when it comes to rounds. I start getting bored around 4 and I would just rather finish the assignment and move on rather than keep repeating it, repeatedly.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #25
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Doing Murph tomorrow...with the vest. Have not had a chance to try anything with the vest in advance so we'll see how it goes. Regardless, I will grind my way through it honor of a fallen hero.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #26
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

I did Murph yesterday. Went with 10 Rounds of 10 Pullup, 20 Pushup, 30 Air Squat. That seemed to work well for me. Pushups were the only thing that needed to be broken up the last few sets.
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 05-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #27
Katy Calcagni

Profile:

So glad I read this before I tackle it tomorrow. I've only been crossfiting since the end of January, and I'm not at the top of my game yet, but I am so psyched to tackle this tomorrow. I love the idea of doing extra squats the first fifteen sets so my legs aren't completely taxed by the second mile. I can only do a few pullups on my own, so I'll have to use a band, but I'm still so excited to tackle this workout. Goal is to finish in an hour, I'll post my time tomorrow. What a great way to honor a heroic soldier on memorial day!
Old 05-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #28
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I missed BS and clean pulls today so I'm gonna warm up with those then hit Murph and then do my rows and curls. At least I won't have to my pullups and pushups.

No vest, I got a backpack. I could do it at home and plot out the running but I might just run on the treadmill at the gym. I can't kip the pullups on the IronGym pullup bar at home so I would have to do rows and I would rather just kill the pullups in a few sets.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #29
Oli Kellett

Profile:

Just finished. 39:40 was my time, I partitioned it 5 pull ups, 5 push ups, 15 squats and 5 push ups which worked well for me.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #30
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

only hard part for me is pullups... after run do a set of pullups, then knock out 50 squats, then pullups, then squats, until finish with squats, then i start the same with pushups... then just just keep knocking out pullups one or two at a time until done and by that time legs are fresh for run again. the last mile try to hold steady pace for first half then sprint last half mile for strong finish. i have never done it without a vest.