CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Scott Macneill

Profile:
Paleo Drained

Hey gang, I started Paleo on December 26th (minus New Years Eve) and have also started at Crossfit around the same time.

I'm starting to feel extemely drained which i suspect is a combo of both, but more so the diet. I'm reading that this 'drained' feeling is normal when starting Paleo.. but is there something i'm missing or should be changing? How long would this normally last before i start to feel good again?

Typical day is this:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, added egg whites cooked with a bit of coco oil

Snack: If it's a workout day (at noon) i have a banana or apple, if rest day nothing

Lunch: chicken / beef or turkey (usually ground) plus 3 cups of green veggies. (green/yellow beans have been there a lot).

Snack: 1 to 1.5oz nuts or canned meat (sardines or small can of tuna)

Dinner: usually the same as lunch.

When i cook any meats i'm using coconut oil. Trying hard to not snack at night, have not eaten past dinner thus far.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Paleo Drained

Looks like too little food. Try adding some yams and squash in there.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

It looks like you're only eating about 1500-1800 calories per day. That's where the "drained" feeling comes from--cutting out crap calories and not replacing them with enough food. Eat more at every meal and snack, and add in some more dense carbs like squash and sweet potatoes.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Scott Macneill

Profile:

Thank you. I will add in some sweet potatoes and / or squash.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
Charles Golden

Profile:

If you're drained it's because you're either eating too little, no getting enough sleep/rest or a combination of both. I'd say you certainly qualify for the eating too little and the sleep/rest could be factor as well.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Scott Macneill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Golden View Post
If you're drained it's because you're either eating too little, no getting enough sleep/rest or a combination of both. I'd say you certainly qualify for the eating too little and the sleep/rest could be factor as well.
Sleep seems OK.. I'd say its the food. I'm going to up the calories and see how it goes.
Thank you!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Sara Ochsner

Profile:

I think you definitely need more food. Have you looked at any resources for a Paleo/Zone type "diet"? It would help you understand how much you should be eating.

I started my Paleo "diet" by using a book my first gym has on their website (WFS) http://www.hardexerciseworks.com/wp-...oads/NuFit.pdf and here is another good article that may be helpful (WFS) http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...ue21_May04.pdf. (Not Paleo but is helpful). Both talk about blocks and give ideas of how much food should be in each one.

Good luck
Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Scott Macneill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Ochsner View Post
I think you definitely need more food. Have you looked at any resources for a Paleo/Zone type "diet"? It would help you understand how much you should be eating.

I started my Paleo "diet" by using a book my first gym has on their website (WFS) http://www.hardexerciseworks.com/wp-...oads/NuFit.pdf and here is another good article that may be helpful (WFS) http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...ue21_May04.pdf. (Not Paleo but is helpful). Both talk about blocks and give ideas of how much food should be in each one.

Good luck
Thanks Sara, i'll print those off and read through them tonight!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Macneill View Post
Hey gang, I started Paleo on December 26th (minus New Years Eve) and have also started at Crossfit around the same time.

I'm starting to feel extemely drained which i suspect is a combo of both, but more so the diet. I'm reading that this 'drained' feeling is normal when starting Paleo.. but is there something i'm missing or should be changing? How long would this normally last before i start to feel good again?

Typical day is this:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, added egg whites cooked with a bit of coco oil

Snack: If it's a workout day (at noon) i have a banana or apple, if rest day nothing

Lunch: chicken / beef or turkey (usually ground) plus 3 cups of green veggies. (green/yellow beans have been there a lot).

Snack: 1 to 1.5oz nuts or canned meat (sardines or small can of tuna)

Dinner: usually the same as lunch.

When i cook any meats i'm using coconut oil. Trying hard to not snack at night, have not eaten past dinner thus far.
Not enough carbs.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Scott Macneill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean M Hutchinson View Post
Not enough carbs.
I may be mis-understanding Paleo a bit. I had thought the idea was to switch over to using the fat for energy vs carbs.