CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #21
Patrick Poblocki

Profile:
Re: Butt wink during squats

With the exception of an odd video under my bed, I've never heard the term "butt wink" before. What does it mean? I'm frequently concerned with not going low enough on squats.

POBS
Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #22
Jacob Vohs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Bachmann View Post
Some of the drills/exercises given in this video will be, at best, marginally helpful. Others might be the one you need - check it and see (Squat Rx #1 - Lower back rounding in the hole: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI ) work/family safe
I've watched that and done some of the drills and what not and they have allowed me to get rid of the butt wink while doing air squats but once I put that bar on my back, the butt wink comes back at the bottom.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #23
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

If you can do it with air squats, you should be able to do it with weight. Start w. a dowel and work your way into it. I agree with the previous posts that say it is can be largely a kinesthetic awareness/body control issue - doesn't mean that flexibiity isn't a huge factor, but yes it is all of those things.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #24
Rob Lorenzini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Bachmann View Post
If you can do it with air squats, you should be able to do it with weight. Start w. a dowel and work your way into it. I agree with the previous posts that say it is can be largely a kinesthetic awareness/body control issue - doesn't mean that flexibiity isn't a huge factor, but yes it is all of those things.
I agree. To add to this I think the discussion on lower back rounding ("butt wink") in Starting Strength is right on the money, it is a flexibility/proprioceptive issue. So my understanding is you need to develop 2 things, flexibility and proprioceptive awareness to not compensate for lack of flexibility with rounding the lower back.

When I was in college a trainer\coach showed me what I think is an excellent method for developing this proprioceptive awareness of the butt wink.

Assume the proper squat position without a bar or anything, place the back of your hand on the small of your back. Squat down, if you feel your lower back begin to round you have the butt wink. Repeat and do not let you lower back round at the bottom... stop before your back rounds and do not allow your back to come out of proper squat alignment, let your hamstring flexibility dictate the depth of your squat not the compensation action of the rounded back, repeat.... This helps develop the sense necessary to eliminate the action.

Obviously the next step is to remove the hand and start with a dowel etc (follow the other advice from this post)... to develop that awareness of the back rounding and again develop the hamstring flexibility. Any trainers out there who can gives us some good stretches (w/ guidelines for frequency) to develop hamstring flexibility?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #25
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Poblocki View Post
With the exception of an odd video under my bed, I've never heard the term "butt wink" before. What does it mean? I'm frequently concerned with not going low enough on squats.

POBS

Patrick,

The discussion in this thread relates to the problem and cure of losing the forward tilt of the pelvis as you descend into the bottom of the squat, thus rounding of the lumbar spine (losing the natural curve or arch) and the butt tilting down, or "winking".
Old 01-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #26
Timothy Saint

Profile:

First, I recommend you shell out the $20 for Rip's 'Starting Strength', which has 50 pages of instruction on proper squat form. This has helped me enormously.

I have also been working on curing the butt wink and have been somewhat successful. Here are two tricks that have worked for me.

1. Are your feet wide enough in your starting stance? People don't talk about this so much, but if your feet are too narrow, as most people's are when they first squat (I know mine were), it increases the odds of buttwinking. The feet should be wider than shoulder width and pointed out about 30 degrees.

2. Practice going into the bottom position without any weight. Then put your elbows into your knees and clasp your hands together, driving your knees out so that they're parallel to your feet. You will probably feel this as a strong stretch in your hips, hamstrings, and groin. This helped me with my butt wink. You can even do this sideways by a mirror and make sure your lumbar extension is good - something you can't, or shouldn't, if you have any weight to support.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #27
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Feet too wide leads to winking as well; flexibility is more taxed with a wider stance.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #28
Andrew White

Profile:

One mobility issue that has not been mentioned yet is ankle mobility. I think this may be an issue. I know I have fairly decent hamstring flexibility, and good hip mobility, but my ankle flexibility is still lacking and this can be an issue. It can stop your knees from drifting out over the toes, resulting in your weight staying behind the center of the foot. This then forces your body to find a way to bring the center of gravity forward, resulting in the hip-roll.

You might think about working on ankle mobility. I am currently working on improving mine and it is helping to reduce what hip-roll I have.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #29
Jacob Vohs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew White View Post
One mobility issue that has not been mentioned yet is ankle mobility. I think this may be an issue. I know I have fairly decent hamstring flexibility, and good hip mobility, but my ankle flexibility is still lacking and this can be an issue. It can stop your knees from drifting out over the toes, resulting in your weight staying behind the center of the foot. This then forces your body to find a way to bring the center of gravity forward, resulting in the hip-roll.

You might think about working on ankle mobility. I am currently working on improving mine and it is helping to reduce what hip-roll I have.
What's a good stretch/exercise for ankle mobility
Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #30
Brandon Oto

Profile:

... squatting.