CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
John Koshy

Profile:
San Francisco Crossfit - don't turn feet out on squat?

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/05/e...revention.html

Now I'm confused as hell. I thought it didn't matter if your feet were turned out as long as the knees followed the feet and were kept pushed out. I'm a powerlifter...I can squat low-bar several inches below parallel. I'm supposed to do this with my feet pointed straight?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: San Francisco Crossfit - don't turn feet out on squat?

A front squat or any of the oly movements are typically done with the toes pointed out, but in general the back squat (or squat) is done with the toes pointed forward or close to. Its a oft argued about topic as to what the proper stance is, totally depends on what lifting school of thought you prescribe to.

Specifically as a mobility drill, squatting with your toes straight is going to be difficult and allow you some added flexibility the next time you do squats regularly, same reason we do squats with our feet together or toes against a wall.

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 05-02-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

People on the internet often disagree.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Struan Potter

Profile:

The majority of power lifters in the world squat with toes pointing forward.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
John Koshy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
The majority of power lifters in the world squat with toes pointing forward.
Not sure what powerlifters you've been watching but it obviously isn't IPF or any raw lifters. I am a raw lifter...not planning on going geared ever. My shins are also not vertical (neither is any raw lifter's....) Squatting with the toes pointed forward does not open up the hips, neither does it allow as much adductor recruitment compared to toes pointed out.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
People on the internet often disagree.
I disagree with that.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

In the text.
Quote:
Feet should be as straight at possible to generate as much torque as possible. The knee can be completely safe and effective with somewhere between 3-7 degrees of foot turn out.
You can have your feet turned out, just not very much. For mobility work you generally exaggerate the positions. In this case you work the 10 minute squat with the feet square so you're not at the end of your range of motion when you're squatting with the feet slightly angled.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Let's get to squat technique, starting with the feet. They should be pointed straight forward. This forces the hip muscles into play. It is much harder to break parallel because the hip extensors and flexors are put in a very strong position for flexion. Turn the feet outward slightly if you are not flexible or if you are very thick in the waist and upper thighs. If you see someone who walks with their feet turned outward, they have weak hamstrings.
If we're talking powerlifting, here's a quote from the powerlifting man Louie Simmons himself. (bolded for emphasis)
Here's a link to the article: http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls32.htm (WFS)

That being said, do what works best for you. I, with my limited knowledge of physiology, am convinced and on-board with the "toes forward" school of thought. But I'm sure Louie would say something different than Rip would say something different than Starrett would say something different than a high school football coach.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

I can see a pulling position where the feet point straight, but the only squatter of note I can remember with feet pointing forward is good old Ron Collins (won worlds 9 times) but his squat was not a thing of beauty.

The only time I archieved that foot position in the bottom of a squat clean ( was very tired at end of long workout .. I limped for weeks..and my left knee paid for it for years and years)

If I want great squatting advice I listen to a great squatter or someone who trains great squatters...

If I want to get shredded I don' talk to distance runners even if they are skinny..and are sometimes great athletes

just look over the advisor closely before talking ALL the advice
Old 05-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
John Koshy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Sprimont View Post
If we're talking powerlifting, here's a quote from the powerlifting man Louie Simmons himself. (bolded for emphasis)
Here's a link to the article: http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls32.htm (WFS)

That being said, do what works best for you. I, with my limited knowledge of physiology, am convinced and on-board with the "toes forward" school of thought. But I'm sure Louie would say something different than Rip would say something different than Starrett would say something different than a high school football coach.
I would be shocked if most of the guys at Westside could squat below parallel in their double ply gear, sumo wide stance, shins vertical, and feet pointed straight. Also, how do you "shove" your knees out if your feet are pointed straight??