CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #11
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
I agree with Matthew Swift. having strong biceps is crucial to holding a baby with one arm.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #12

Profile:

this is turning into a what is functional discussion, which is a huge can of worms i don't want to get into personally, but RE curls -

yes, you curl when you pick up a child--but that's not all you do. if you want to develop strength for that movement, i'd say you need to place the weight on the floor and pick it up from there each time. i don't know many parents (playing aside) who pick up a kid and rep out curls with him or her. segmenting complex movements in order to better develop the whole movement is tricky and largely unsuccessful.

if you're concerned about arm flexion strength, compound pulling movements can provide plenty in most cases--most of the examples given thus far involve more static than dynamic strength. if that's the purpose, instead of curls, you should be holding a bar still or doing bent arm lock-offs. as far as strongmen doing them, those dudes are deadlifting enormous loads--i can't imagine curls placing more tension on the biceps than DLs or similar movements with much greater loads, unless they;re intentionally performing said curls with a very ballistic transition (which seems like a pretty bad idea to me). even zercher squats would seem like a better option to me.

i really couldn't care less whether someone curls or not--what i will say is that i can't think of any case in which a curl will genuinely produce greater benefits than another movement.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #13
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
I don't understand why you need justification for doing the exercise, if you like the exercise, which you obviously do. You consider it to be important for your "functional Life" which you obviously do, then problem solved: do the exercise.

Do I think your better off expending energy on other movements? Yeah I do, but why should that worry you.
A league Coach said to me once
"Turn you back on these boys during a routine and they will be doing Bicep Curls in the corner"

Guys dig pumping their Guns. Admit it, and then do it.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
David Aguasca

Profile:
i lift 4'x8' wooden platforms from the ground onto tables and and use giant nail guns all day at work. that's all the curl work i need!
Old 02-12-2007, 08:43 PM   #15
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Biceps...triceps....are assistant muscles to major movements....so I dont think making them stronger will be a negative....much like doing lower back strengthening exerices help to increase you DL.....

Then again...I am not married....chicks like the guns....how is that NOT functional to my life?????
Old 02-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #16
James Besenyei

Profile:
Nothin' wrong with curls if you like doing 'em...I too am guilty of throwing down a few sets after doing the WOD...curls are fun, and there's nothing wrong in admitting it.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #17
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
Elbow health...
Same reason we throw in rotator cuff work once in awhile...

...& because it makes me feel bad-, & I'm gonna tell you what, that's the whole reason I do any of this...to be bad-...

...& personally I feel that debating whether any exercise that makes you stronger is generally "functional" is about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop. "Function" is a derivative or your day-to-day lifestyle, activities, etc. Pullups & whatnot are probably more useful due to the ratio of training time to muscular output...but it should never be argued that bicep curls aren't useful.

I hate semantic arguments...why can't I stay away from them?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #18
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
Everyone here seems to agree that "chicks like the guns...so bicep curls is the way to go." I don't think I've seen anyone mention that 2/3 of your arm is made up of your triceps. If you want big guns focus on your tri's.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:19 AM   #19
Jason Scully

Profile:
Thanks for all of the good points guys. I myself can really care less if I actually do a bicep curl ever again. However it was something that I was analyzing so I wanted to see what others thought.

All good points.

Jason
Old 02-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #20
Rene Renteria

Profile:
I feel that debating whether any exercise that makes you stronger is generally "functional" is about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop...but it should never be argued that bicep curls aren't useful.

They won't be useful if they interfere with other exercises that you need for strength. If doing some bi/tri sets interferes with your work sets of bench, press, cleans, deadlift, or what have you, then they are not being useful, they are being detrimental. Rippetoe talks about this in his books, and I agree with it.

Be careful you don't interfere with what is likely more important for strength. Put them at the end.

Best,
Rene'