CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-02-2006, 06:38 PM   #11
Tim Walsh

Profile:  
I apologize if I'm coming off as defensive and closed-minded here. I know that I asked for your opinions and that is what I'm getting. It's just that the frustration of going nowhere in this area has been building up inside me for a while.

Tim
Old 08-02-2006, 07:14 PM   #12
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
i used weighted pullups, kipping pullups, towel pullups and deadhang pullups with different grips along with the WOD to increase the number of deadhang pullups i can do. personally, i think you should do as many different kinds of pullups you can do. working on your grip strength helps too. try doing farmers walks or something similar.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:34 PM   #13
Tim Walsh

Profile:  
Jason, how often did you train? How often did you go to failure? How many reps did you gain and how long did it take you?

Tim
Old 08-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #14
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I'm with Jason on this. I've done all kinds of pullups, all kinds of rep schemes. All kinds, or so it seems. Every day, twice a day, or once a week. Assisted, kipping, weighted, negative, weighted negatives, narrow grip, parallel grip, wide grip, mixed grip, maybe 20 or more varieties of chinups. It's all good.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:00 AM   #15
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
I'm with Lincoln and Jason on this. Your body needs variety and variations. I've been using GTG and each month I have gained a DH. At the same time I've been doing different grips, weighted,towel pullups and ring pullups. Also, lots of pushups and dips. I love the kip but I have to drive 20 mins away to get to the pullup bar that would work for that.
I think your going to need to change things up....be open minded! Have fun learning new things.
Good luck
jen
Old 08-03-2006, 02:05 AM   #16
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
this is long!
this was before i started keeping a workout journal so i can't really tell you exactly what i did or how long it took me to improve.
heres what i remember: i started doing the cf warmup before the (scaled)WOD with dead-hang pullups first 3 sets of 5 then worked my way up to 3 sets of 10, then 15, after doing 5x5 weighted pullups, working my way up in weight. when you can do 10 in a row, add some weight.
i set a goal: do 20 dead hang pullups.
i did pullup ladders (1 pullup 1st minute, 2 pullups 2nd minute, etc) using tons of different types of pullup variations and grips, bar hangs, isometric holds, and farmers walks after finishing workouts. doing farmers walks really improved my pullups. as i got better, i did pullups where i touched my chin to the back of my hand alternating sides, L-pullups, etc. there are millions of variations, do a search on the net and you will find sooooo many, do them. do the WOD to the best of your ability, it contains plenty of pullups. there's no shame in kipping, doing jumping pullups, negatives, you can still do dead hang even if you kip, just not at the same time. there's an instructional by eva the olympian about how to correctly kip.
there's an advantage to not going to failure when you do pullups or any exercise. im not exactly sure what, but you might want to look into that.
when i first started i could do one max set of around 15 or less dead hang. after doing what i described i could do 23 dead hang, palms facing away grip.
i havent checked my max lately, but im still improving. next goal is 30. keep at it.
if you're really serious about improving your pullups you can buy one of those doorway pullup bars and do small sets of pullups whenever you walk by it.

check out pavel's "grease the groove" stuff. i didn't do that but people have made progress with it.

make sure to post your success.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:20 AM   #17
Tim Walsh

Profile:  
Ok, all of this confirms one of the recent revelations that I've come to... that constant variation in my intensity and volume is required to progress. In the past I would pick a set/rep scheme and hammer it to death for a week or two, then I would switch to something else. Doing some ladders and max sets unweighted, kipping, or whatever, combined with weighted pull-ups and some heavy negatives each week is definitely the way I'm going to go.

But tell me this: It sounds like it took you guys quite a while and a lot of reps to build up your numbers as well. So all those people who say they went from 4 pullups to 20 in one month... are they just full of crap? That would really ease my mind.

Tim
Old 08-03-2006, 05:32 AM   #18
John Messano

Profile:
Tim - consider that by doing deadlifts, squats, cleans, presses, C&J and snatch, along with gymnastic exercises - in the context of the WOD, that you will develop POWER. oh, and your Pullup numbers will increase dramatically.

good luck
Old 08-03-2006, 05:45 AM   #19
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
So all those people who say they went from 4 pullups to 20 in one month... are they just full of crap?

Well, it took me a lot longer than that. I started at age 37 being able to do maybe 2 chinups (maybe, with a good tail wind). It took me 3 years to get to 20 DH.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:42 AM   #20
Frank M Needham

Profile:
I've also found that not being strong in pulls is not acceptable. Poking around some, I found what seems to be pretty good stuff.

In this link the author is focused on one arms and some of the principles he uses apply directly to two arm pulls and, some don't:
http://www.beastskills.com/OneArmPull.htm
However, in the past I've used this principle many times over to succeed: Shoot for the stars never minding that you might only hit the moon.
So, why not apply the thinking to pull ups and go for the more difficult level of one arms? In the process wouldn't one achieve the primary goal of increasing two arm pulls?

This also an interesting discussion of one arms:
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/232/
The author clearly states that one should wait until being able to do 20 pull ups before starting to work on one arms. But, what I got out of all of it for the purposes of pull ups is that the let down (negative) in either the pull up or one arm pull up is of extreme importance.

Thanks for posting Tim, I found it very thought-provoking.