CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #21
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: What's a Decent Benchmark for Women's Dead Lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Bachmann View Post
Everyone's certainly entitled to their own opinions, but the OP asked about what is considered heavy and strong - I think the chart does a respectable job pointing people in the right direction. If you don't like the labels of "beginner", "intermediate", "advanced", etc, then change the wording. My guess is that the original labels "weak-sauce", "wuss-bag", "mediocre", "kinda strong", and "badass" were changed to be a little more sensitive.
I agree.

People should read the WHOLE table:

"An intermediate is a person who has engaged in regular weight training for up to two years. The intermediate level indicates some degree of specialization and a high level of performance at the recreational level."

For my weight class, 278 is "advanced." My PR is 270, putting me at the higher end of "intermediate." It took a couple years from an untrained state for me to get there, and it required some specialization (i.e. main-page didn't get me there, I had to strength-bias my workouts... typical pre-CF globo-gym routines didn't get me there either). I can lift more than anyone I know of my size, and more than many who are bigger than me, which I think indicates "a high level of performance at the recreational level." I wouldn't win any powerlifting competitions, but that's hardly "recreational" is it?

Tamara, you *are* advanced... multiple years training experience, definite goals... that describes you. Congratulations! You might not FEEL advanced if you're hanging out with a bunch of other people who are as strong or even stronger, but that doesn't mean you're not. The worst player in the NBA might seem like a total failure in his sport, but the reality is he is probably better than every single person he played with in high school, and the vast majority in college. he's an "advanced" player.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #22
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Your standing as a "novice" depends on whether you can make linear progression, not just on a specific number.
Again, I like the table's definition of novice better:

"Novice means a person training regularly for 3-9 months. This strength level supports the demands of vigorous recreational activities."

What this says is if you're already involved in CF, track, swimming, football or whatever at more than a very basic level... you should be able to hit AT LEAST novice numbers as soon as you get the form down safely, because if you can't hit that number you probably don't have the strength necessary to run, jump, throw, push, pull, hit, lift, ect to be even kind of okay at most athletic endevours.

I like that definition better because it's easier to tell if someone is able to excercise vigorously vs. trying to tell if someone has "reached the limit of linear progression." Then for intermediate it basically says you're going to have to work at it for awhile to get there, and for advanced it says you're going to have to work pretty hard to get there. "untrained" means not only have you not done any barbell work, but you're basically sedentary. I've met a good number of non-obese sedentary people who can't even hit the "untrained" numbers.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #23
Emily Mattes

Profile:

I dunno, I don't like the table because I think its standards are too low . . . I'm at the "Elite" level or above for all of my lifts (damn bench press), but I'm nowhere close to being an elite athlete!

I agree with Jamie, I think a good benchmark is half of the world record total for your weight class (check hereYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.) and a good long-term goal is 75% of that.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

I don't like the idea of any of these tables that bring about comparisons. It's you and the weight. Just you and the the weight. The battle should be with the barbell. That's it really.

I don't see the true purpose behind "bench marks" or "eliteness" or anything like that. Unless it's for a competition. If it's for yourself, be happy that you are doing it and, if it's your goal, you're getting stronger.

Good luck and go heavy.

All the best,
Arden
Old 08-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #25
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Jared,

Those tables were taken from Rippetoe's books and Rip defines novice, intermediate and advanced based on recovery ability or the time between new PR's.

"it's easier to tell if someone is able to excercise vigorously vs. trying to tell if someone has "reached the limit of linear progression." "

Once you hit it, it's not hard to tell in other people. Just look at their log or talk with them.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #26
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
I agree with Jamie, I think a good benchmark is half of the world record total for your weight class (check here) and a good long-term goal is 75% of that.
Looked that up out of curiosity to see how it compares to the charts...

For me:

50% vs. "advanced"

BS: 276 vs. 278
BP: 205 vs. 208
DL: 314 vs. 342

So basicaly the same except DL, which isn't really THAT different. Tells me either is a good resource.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #27
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Looked that up out of curiosity to see how it compares to the charts...

For me:

50% vs. "advanced"

BS: 276 vs. 278
BP: 205 vs. 208
DL: 314 vs. 342

So basicaly the same except DL, which isn't really THAT different. Tells me either is a good resource.
Do you seriously weigh 132? (going from your weight class on the chart) thats SUUUUUUUUUUUUPER thin for a grown man. kudos on your numbers though, but I have to ask, reason for staying so small?
Old 08-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #28
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Do you seriously weigh 132? (going from your weight class on the chart) thats SUUUUUUUUUUUUPER thin for a grown man. kudos on your numbers though, but I have to ask, reason for staying so small?
Pretty close... technically in competition I'd be up a weight class, I actually weigh about 134-135. I use 132 because it's a lot closer to my weight than 148.

Yep, it's pretty thin, but I'm also short for a guy (5'7"). Why so small? largely genetics. adding weight is very hard for me and I don't like forcing myself to eat. I added 10 lbs quickly and almost effortlessly from an untrained state and have held here.

The other part is I've honestly found I like being small. As a skydiver being small lets you move in 3 dimensions more quickly and easily. It also provides greater fall-rate flexibility. The bigger you are, the faster you fall, and the faster your minimum fall-rate, so a big guy might be literally incapable of doing a training jump with a 105 lb student. For me, if I NEED to fall faster (and I usually do) I wear a weight belt. It also helps to be tiny when you're trying to launch 6 or 8 people, all connected, from a 4-foot-wide aircraft door, and a small profile means it's easier to hold on when you're hanging by one foot and one hand behind the propeller of a plane going 100+ mph for 30 seconds while everyone else gets in position.

I'd rather accept a limit on my potential strength than a limit on my fall rate and in-air agility.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #29
Darla Powell

Profile:

I'm at 215 now
Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #30
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
I don't like the idea of any of these tables that bring about comparisons. It's you and the weight. Just you and the the weight. The battle should be with the barbell. That's it really.

I don't see the true purpose behind "bench marks" or "eliteness" or anything like that. Unless it's for a competition. If it's for yourself, be happy that you are doing it and, if it's your goal, you're getting stronger.
*shrug* I'm weaker than just about everyone at my gym. Tables like this remind me that it's in part because I'm also smaller -- I'm decently strong for my weight class -- and help me keep from getting discouraged.

Katherine