CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-18-2010, 04:17 AM   #1
Darla Powell

Profile:
Active Release Therapy / Myofascial Release for Shoulders

I just wanted to share my experience here as I know I am not alone with bicep tendinitis and shoulder issues. It seems to be a common problem and this injury thread is one of the most active on the board.

I have been suffering from bicep tendinitis in both arms for 20 some odd years. I originally injured them during karate when I was just a young thing and never took care of them properly. I have always stretched and iced yada yada but the pain and lack of range of strength and motion have always plagued me. I just learned to live with it and got used to it I guess.

The intensity of CrossFit motivated me to seek solutions for this once and for all. Someone on here mentioned they had some good results with Active Release Therapy for their condition so I Googled for local practitioners. There are not that many but I found a good one I think.

I had my first session yesterday. It was mostly the myofascial release with regards to the tendonitis to start but she did do some ART on my Tennis Elbow ( a biomechanic injury related to the overcompensation of the frozen shoulder during pull ups I believe).

Their was a really really strange burning sensation while she was working on my shoulders and biceps. Like an organic chemical heat. It hurt but in a good way. ( I may be a masochist)

I am on a twice per week schedule for the therapy and I am also doing shoulder exercises at home to build strength around the scapular, rotator muscles to offset a strength imbalance - the main contributor to the issue. (If you have rounded shoulders chances are you have or will have have bicep tendinitis - eventually)

So anyhoo.... wish me luck. Hopefully this does the trick and eventually I can do CF full force.

I don't know if this is the answer or if it can 'cure' me after 20 years of chronic shoulder /bicep issues but I thought I would post my progress here in case anyone else is interested or has been considering the treatment.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Active Release Therapy / Myofascial Release for Shoulders

Keep this thread updated with your experience. I'm submitting my insurance to an ART practitioner today to see how much it would cost. I'm looking to get some ART done on my shoulder to help with mobility issues (no pain for me).
Old 08-18-2010, 04:30 AM   #3
Darla Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
Keep this thread updated with your experience. I'm submitting my insurance to an ART practitioner today to see how much it would cost. I'm looking to get some ART done on my shoulder to help with mobility issues (no pain for me).
I will. Feel free to chime n here with your progress as well. I am hopeful but truthfully, it seems like a dream that after so long I could finally get some relief.

Oh and my insurance does cover so many sessions with a 20$ copay. I think 30.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:37 AM   #4
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla Powell View Post
I will. Feel free to chime n here with your progress as well. I am hopeful but truthfully, it seems like a dream that after so long I could finally get some relief.

Oh and my insurance does cover so many sessions with a 20$ copay. I think 30.
Sweet, I'm hoping my insurance is cool with it. I'm past my deductible, so might as well get all the good help I can before the end of the year haha

I never realized how immobile I was until I started Crossfitting and doing more complex lifts.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Thanks so much for starting this thread! Did you by chance have any calcifications as well?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Keith Truesdale

Profile:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have to set up an apt. with an ortho doc today - I did something to my shoulder - I either have a impingement or a tear of some sort. The pain originates in my shoulder then shoots down my bicep. Im going to talk to my PT again too.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Darla Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Hall View Post
Thanks so much for starting this thread! Did you by chance have any calcifications as well?
You are so welcome.
When I had XRays two years ago for the frozen shoulder they came back negative on calcification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Truesdale View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I have to set up an apt. with an ortho doc today - I did something to my shoulder - I either have a impingement or a tear of some sort. The pain originates in my shoulder then shoots down my bicep. Im going to talk to my PT again too.
I have to tell you guys. I already feel better today. The therapist was pretty amazed at the way my tissue bounced back after yesterday's session. She told me she felt some improvement in my left shoulder ( the once frozen one) and I feel it.

There is just a bit more freedom of movement. Whatever she did sure freed something up. Today was mainly the ART. This particular therapist works with a lot of pro football players so I think I got lucky with my Google skills. If you are in Miami, PM me and I will give you her info.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Good to hear Darla. I found out my insurance was all good with Chiro/ART appointments, and set myself up for an appointment Monday. Apparently the 1st appointment is to take longer because he does an evaluation/assessment first. I'll have to try and steer him away from some of my other dysfunctions to work on the shoulder
Old 08-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
Darla Powell

Profile:

Good deal! I hope he knows his stuff. Keep me posted.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
Thomas Green

Profile:

ART has helped me recover from multiple injuries when many other treatments failed