CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 06-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #1
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
One year CrossFit anniversary!

So, yeah, most of you have seen my "before" and current pics. Recently, I wrote about the last year on the Paleochix site, and I think that sums things up pretty well: http://paleochix.com/?p=1957 (WFS).

Wow, what a year. Last spring, I didn't even have one full pushup. I certainly didn't have a pullup. I had an 11:00 mile. I had never picked up a barbell.

I've now done four CrossFit competitions including Sectionals and competing on my affiliate team at Regionals. My current numbers are:

Height -5'8
Weight - 135 (down from 174)
Deadlift - 210
Back squat - 160
Front squat - 145
OHS - 135
Clean and jerk - 135
Snatch - 95
400m run - 71 seconds

Benchmark WOD - Grace
August 7, 2009 @ 48 lbs = 5:10
December 26, 2009 Rx'd @ 95 lbs = 11:06
February 12, 2010 Rx'd = 8:54
April 1, 2010 Rx'd = 7:26
April 25, 1010 Rxd = 4:48

First pullup - July 29, 2009
First muscle up - May 5, 2010

My goals for the next few months definitely include strength gains. We don't squat a lot at my affiliate, and my numbers reflect that. I'm starting a strength cycle next week.

I think the biggest thing I have learned in the last year is NO EXCUSES. Start today. Not tomorrow. Not after the new year. Not after your vacation. NOW. Get up everyday and get your stuff done. You have one life. This is it. Why waste any more time being unhappy? Happiness is a decision not a set of circumstances.

Thank you to all of you who have been along for this crazy journey. CrossFit has changed my life, and for that, I am eternally grateful.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: One year CrossFit anniversary!

Amazing! Great job. You forgot to mention that you also have a sweet six pack as well .

On a side note: did your affiliate team qualify for the games? which affiliate are you with?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
Nate Redman

Profile:

Awesome! Very motivational, I am going to forward this to my sister with two kids who I have been talking to about CF!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Amazing! Great job. You forgot to mention that you also have a sweet six pack as well .

On a side note: did your affiliate team qualify for the games? which affiliate are you with?
Thanks, Joe. Yeah, haha, I have a sweet six pack and my arms are ripped to shreds. Bonus .

We didn't qualify, but we busted our @sses. I'm with CrossFit Asheville, and we are a young affiliate - about 17 months old. Three of the four of us PR'd our C&J during WOD 1, and I can't ask for more than that! But, we don't yet have guys putting up 300 lbs or girls putting up 175 lbs. We'll get there. We also smoked the 5K row, which was a huge and awesome surprise. We pulled a 17:22, and we don't even row at our affiliate. My first split was 1:47, and my PR had been 1:51.

My coach, Shanna Duvall, took 11th overall individually. She placed 1st, 4th, and 5th in 3 of the 5 WODs. She had to battle back from 50th in the first WOD, which was a squat clean ladder that started at 120 lbs. She only weighs 115 lbs, haha. I am really fortunate to have her as my training partner. We are definitely entering the next year with the goal of both qualifying individually for the Games. We have similiar numbers on our lifts, but she's a lot faster than I am...although I'm not exactly slow. I came away very positive after watching the individual competition. A lot of girls DNF'd on two of the WODs because they didn't have muscle ups and HSPUs, which I do have. I know what I need to work on, and I plan to hit it hard.

Last edited by Tamara Cohen : 06-03-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Redman View Post
Awesome! Very motivational, I am going to forward this to my sister with two kids who I have been talking to about CF!
Thanks, Nate. We have a lot of moms with young kids at my affiliate, which is nice.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Thanks, Joe. Yeah, haha, I have a sweet six pack and my arms are ripped to shreds. Bonus .

We didn't qualify, but we busted our @sses. I'm with CrossFit Asheville, and we are a young affiliate - about 17 months old. Three of the four of us PR'd our C&J during WOD 1, and I can't ask for more than that! But, we don't yet have guys putting up 300 lbs or girls putting up 175 lbs. We'll get there. We also smoked the 5K row, which was a huge and awesome surprise. We pulled a 17:22, and we don't even row at our affiliate. My first split was 1:47, and my PR had been 1:51.

My coach, Shanna Duvall, took 11th overall individually. She placed 1st, 4th, and 5th in 3 of the 5 WODs. She had to battle back from 50th in the first WOD, which was a squat clean ladder that started at 120 lbs. She only weighs 115 lbs, haha. I am really fortunate to have her as my training partner. We are definitely entering the next year with the goal of both qualifying individually for the Games. We have similiar numbers on our lifts, but she's a lot faster than I am...although I'm not exactly slow. I came away very positive after watching the individual competition. A lot of girls DNF'd on two of the WODs because they didn't have muscle ups and HSPUs, which I do have. I know what I need to work on, and I plan to hit it hard.
Oh ok, gotcha, the affiliate I'm at is young as well. That's pretty cool to have people PRing left and right, I love how much of a factor a motivational crowd can be when doing a WOD. I just recently joined an affiliate and while I am pretty good at self-motivation, I can kick it into a new gear working out there.

The muscle-ups and HSPUs are usually the deciding factor for the WODs when it comes to girls, having both of them down is a huge advantage. Props to your trainer, the regionals were tough, I've been looking at the WODs. From the sound of it you guys are going to be beasts next year, good luck going forward!

P.S.- I definitely have to work on my rowing, my PR is 1:55 hah.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
Árni Björn Kristjánsson

Profile:

Congratulations Tamara! Such a great story which I can kinda relate to!

My 1 year CF anniversary is in September 2010, I don't think I'll have your abs though!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
Nate Redman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Thanks, Nate. We have a lot of moms with young kids at my affiliate, which is nice.
We have moms too, but saying that and showing a story like your's is two different things

Great motivation Tamara, can't wait to see my gains at one year!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:23 AM   #9
Emily Seabridge

Profile:

Very inspirational, thank you for sharing!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Tamara, what was your beginning Fran time? I just did Fran for the first time today. My time was not great but it's a start

You are inspiring on what hard work and dedication will obtain