CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Butterfly Dip

To the wise, you have to be able to do strict dips before you can pull these off besides having a stable support and the ability to do support swings.

They look far cooler than frog kip dips (tucking the hips and kicking below you).
Old 05-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Aushion,

I think it was you I saw a while ago talking about the swinging type dips. I'm not sure what they were called but it's the ones mentioned earlier where you pike. I tried those and it was the ugliest clusterfudge of random movement I have ever beheld. Any ideas on how to get the rhythm down? For example, links to videos or pictures where it's broken/slowed down?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
Troy Becker

Profile:

I'm of the mind that the straight up/down kip is better and faster for dips, but I could be wrong (for other people)...
Old 05-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #14
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schechterly View Post
Aushion,

I think it was you I saw a while ago talking about the swinging type dips. I'm not sure what they were called but it's the ones mentioned earlier where you pike. I tried those and it was the ugliest clusterfudge of random movement I have ever beheld. Any ideas on how to get the rhythm down? For example, links to videos or pictures where it's broken/slowed down?
I started with the Basic Support Swing on Rings:

This (WFS) is where I started...

Here (WFS, has an ad at the beginning) is the first good video that popped up of what a good support swing looks like...though the young man is on p-bars...you get the idea.

Then after becoming used to this, just follow Coach Sommer's Swinging Dip progression...he has videos (on p-bar as well though).

Coach Sommer Swinging Dip (WFS)

edit: There's probably much better video of a support swing on rings then mine, as I'm just a CF'er utilizing gymnastics like most everyone else here...If you search and find one, pls post it here.

Last edited by Aushion Chatman : 05-12-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:18 AM   #15
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
I'm of the mind that the straight up/down kip is better and faster for dips, but I could be wrong (for other people)...
Much like the frog kick/standard kipping pull up, I feel like the energy used is more distributed using this tucked swinging dip (butterfly) kip...though if you are strong at ring dips I could see you just cycling even regular dips pretty darn fast...at least initially until your arms fatigue....
Old 05-12-2010, 02:53 AM   #16
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Andrew, either go slower or learn it first on a set of parallel bars. A dip station might work, too.

It also helps to know how to do a basic support swing, be it on rings or parallel bars.

Learning how to sync the butterfly kip and not lose rhythm is similar since it's better to learn at a slower pace and chain it moving through it with control rather than just go silly.

You can generate more momentum with the swing (in this butterfly ring dip) so that will help you pop up.

To also note, the butterfly kipping pullup won't work for people who don't have a good grasp of strict pullups in my opinion. Just my opinion. There are many CFers out there that kip 2-3x as many strict pullups as they can do, sometimes half a dozen, a few and I've even heard of none!

I thought about trying it tonight, Aush but decided against it. I think last year when I went into dip-o-maniac mode doing all kinds of swinging dips, strict dips, advanced dips besides whatever else I did might have been the culprit for my sternum tear early last year.

Here's the thread. http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...inging+rip+dip WFS

To note, I think those dips were tested on 15' straps and I doubt I can do that many currently. You will note that I said I felt the frog kipping ring dips were more metabolic .

Also when I tested strict vs swinging, I tested strict vs, rested then did swinging. I'm sure if I would have tested them on different days as I tested the frog kip dip on a different day the numbers may have differed.

It would be interesting to see which feel more metabolic. Swinging or frog kipping as I noted frog kipping seemed metabolic but didn't note it with swinging.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #17
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Thank you, Aushion and Blair... I will get to work on those.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #18
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Tried these out. Tucked feels easier and faster than pike. Frog kipped seems more work than the butterfly method (tuck swing). They felt alright. I think I'm still weak a bit from last night's pressing work.

I was only trying with sets of 5 or 6 as I didn't really want to overdo it since I did these after coaching before going home and only did a support, holding the bottom of a support, and a few ring dips before trying.

Butterfly did seem to be easier.

More than likely when I tested the 21 frog kipped dips they were more metabolic because I only did 14 of the swinging ring dips. Derr.

I still think I butterfly kip the wrong way. I need to film myself one of these days but others have seen it and said it looks fine though needs some fine-tuning of course (it's still a work in progress especially now that I rarely train it).
Old 05-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #19
Steven Low

Profile:

The problem is that when you're fatigued the increased moment strain at the bottom may jack up someone's shoulders... plus couple the fact that there's instability inherent with rings. Which is why I never really recommend them for metabolic work from just an injury standpoint because you'll have to do them when you're tired.

I've played around and thought about teaching these to people just to try it, but ehhh still a little wary of it. Maybe I'll teach it next time and let people decide to use it for themselves or not.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #20
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
The problem is that when you're fatigued the increased moment strain at the bottom may jack up someone's shoulders... plus couple the fact that there's instability inherent with rings. Which is why I never really recommend them for metabolic work from just an injury standpoint because you'll have to do them when you're tired.

I've played around and thought about teaching these to people just to try it, but ehhh still a little wary of it. Maybe I'll teach it next time and let people decide to use it for themselves or not.
Aye, I could see these being rough when you get tired...I wouldn't probably do this for anything other than competition myself...

I still will NEVER kip a push up or HeSPU...That's just uncivilized.