CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-05-2005, 07:21 AM   #1
James Falkner

Profile:
Is there such a thing? If you work out when its real hot, will you gain an advantage over someone who does the same workout, except without the heat (i.e. in an air conditioned gym, in a cold climate, etc..)? I posted a question like this to a runner's newsgroup a while back and the concensus was that yes, you will be able to perform *slightly* better in a cold climate after training in a hot climate.

In this case, the example was training for a 5k/10k outside during the heat of the day, in preparation for a race that starts early in the morning or late in the evening. Does this also translate to CF-type workouts? Or does the short intensity negate the difference in climate?
Old 08-05-2005, 07:42 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
James-

I read some work on this area and the "hot" training did not confer an advantage in "cool" environments. It will confer an advantage if you have a hot adapted athletes and cool adapted athletes competing in a hot environment.

This seems consistent with the info you got...either a slight or no advantage.
Robb
Old 08-05-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
Albert Clayton

Profile:
I have often wondered about this since I live and play in San Antonio Texas.

In a hot or tropical environment do you think that an individual burns more calories in a workout?
Old 08-05-2005, 09:17 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

Profile:
from ACSM:

Do I burn more calories when I exercise in the cold?
Cold weather itself does not increase calorie needs. You don’t burn extra calories unless your body temperature drops and you start to shiver (remember that the weather can actually be tropical inside your exercise outfit). Your body does use a considerable amount of energy to warm and humidify the air you breathe when you exercise in the cold. For example, if you were to burn 600 calories while cross-country skiing for an hour in 0° F weather, you may use about 23 percent of those calories to warm the inspired air. In summer, you would have dissipated this heat via sweat. In winter, you sweat less.

If you are wearing heavy clothes, you will burn a few more calories to carry the extra weight of skis, boots, heavy parka, snow shoes. The Army allows 10 percent more calories for the heavily-clad troops who exercise in the cold. But the weight of extra clothing on, let’s say, winter runners is generally minimal.

Reprinted with permission of the American College of Sports Medicine, ACSM Fit SocietyŽ Page, Winter 2005, p. 5.