CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Thomas Benson

Profile:
Weightlifting Shoe Sizes

Hi all,

So I'm fairly new to (serious, good form) lifting, and as such wanted to get a good pair of weightlifting shoes. I've been working out in Chuck Taylors, which have been great for metcons, but I certainly loose stability when I'm going to heavier weight. For example, I'm picking up the Crossfit Football programming, and while my Chucks are fine for the WOD, I think it's time to throw down for weightlifting shoes for the strength portion, especially when it comes to squats (especially noting I'm not that flexible).

As such, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good first weightlifting shoe--something I can squat and Olympic lift in. I wear a size 12 Chuck Taylor, which fits really well, even though my feet are somewhat wide. I'm really worried about sizing, because I'd hate to buy something and not be able to wear it, so if anyone with experience wearing a specific shoe could give me a little sizing advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Best,
Thomas
Old 08-25-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
Nick Hoffman

Profile:
Re: Weightlifting Shoe Sizes

I got the VS Dynamos. On their website, they say order a half size larger than your normal shoe. I ordered my normal size and they fit just right. From what I've read, other people have had a similar fit with theirs. If in doubt, it probably wouldn't hurt to go a half size larger.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
Roger Smith

Profile:

I'm also curious as to how a weightlifting shoe should fit. Skin tight, like a wrestling shoe, or looser like a casual shoe? Some room at the toe, or no room?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Joseph Hsu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman View Post
I got the VS Dynamos. On their website, they say order a half size larger than your normal shoe. I ordered my normal size and they fit just right. From what I've read, other people have had a similar fit with theirs. If in doubt, it probably wouldn't hurt to go a half size larger.
Same here, I got my VS Dynamos last week, which I ordered my normal shoe size, and they're snug, but not uncomfortable. I would think that you'd want it tight to eliminate any "slack" in the shoe. I've yet to really test it out though, my first time in them will be tonight.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Noah Martin

Profile:

I talked to Josh Everett about sizing at an Olympic Lifting Cert.
He said he wears them to the point they are uncomfortably tight, no room for slipping at all, after all the are only on an hour or so at a time usually.

I ordered a 10 from VSA and wear 10's in chucks. Hope they fit.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Milan Mitrovich

Profile:

I have VS Dynamos, followed their instructions to buy a half-size larger and they feel a little too big. The heels slip a little. I would go with my regular shoe size next time.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Randy Hill

Profile:

I wear a 14-15 depending on the brand of shoes, ordered the VS Athletics weight lifting shoes in a 15 and they fit great.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
Noah Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan Mitrovich View Post
I have VS Dynamos, followed their instructions to buy a half-size larger and they feel a little too big. The heels slip a little. I would go with my regular shoe size next time.
I wear a nike free in Size 11
I fit into a size 10 Chuck Taylor almost perfectly.

I ordered a VS Size 10.
It's almost a perfect fit. In fact, it's maybe even a tad tight but like J. Everett told me, tight and snug is good, don't want slipping. There wont be any room for slipping here.

My suggestion is try on a pair of chucks and get that size in the VS
Old 08-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
Andrew Benton

Profile:

I have the new 2010 do-wins from Pendlay. I ordered a half size smaller than my running shoes, they fit extremely well. No slippage, and i dont have to tie them super tight.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

I always recommend going about half size to full size smaller than you wear in most shoes. I wear 13.5 and I wear 12.5 addistars. I've never had do-wins or rogues, so I don't know how they are sized.

My addistars are as described above - uncomfortably tight.

Gotta get a pair for my daughter, once her feet stop growing. She's 12 and wears a size 11. She wants a pair of the Red Addidias. I tried to talk her into pink Rogues, but she wanted the red ones. Oh well.

All the best,
Arden