CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Arlo Holmes

Profile:
New and ready

Well were to begin - I tend to ramble so this could get long...

I was turned on to Crossfit from a friend who raved about it and while i sounded interesting I wasnt ready yet - However last Saturday I realized that in 6 weeks I will be 35 and I feel very unhealthy. I wanted to change - so I knew i was ready. Today was Day 1 of Crossfit and a Paleo diet.

I dont consider myself horribly out of shape but I am a shadow of my former fitness. Currently I am 5'9 around 175lbs, probably 17-19% BF (the 2nd highest I have been) I definately am carrying around more fat then I am happy with. I have several bad habits that need to stop - I smoke - tomorrow starting Chantix to stop that, I drink a ridiculous amount of Diet Coke (made it through day1 without any), lots of breads and sugars, fast food and a horrible diet, never drank water, and previous to this really lacked motivation.

Positives: I do play sports (softball, golf, various others) regularly, I am fairly active and have trained hard for fighting and sports previously - I like to push it and I think throwing up is just about the level that lets you know your driving yourself...LOL

Some things that will make it hard: recently I have been suffering from arthritis in one of my shoulders and somethings I just cant do with the pain - I am taking some anti-inflammitories that are helping. The diet is going to be difficult because I am always on the go- however I am commited to following a real food plan. I went through my kitchen and threw out or gave away anything not Paleo - and there was alot. I went to the store today and stocked up on GOOD foods. I drank 4 liters of water throughout the day and NO soda which for me was a straight accomplishment

Today I did a scaled version of the WOD - felt good. Its a long road and I know there could be set backs but I want this.

Goals:
1. Lose 10 pounds of fat by my 35th Birthday - 6 weeks
(i wouldnt mind 170 if its lean muscle but I think 165 sounds better)
2. Live a healthy lifestyle - both fitness and diet
3. I want to be able to run in the St Jude Run next year

thats alot so far but It feels good to write it out- thanks for such a great program!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
Charlie A Nilsson

Profile:
Re: New and ready

Welcome

Awesome that you have stated your goals.

make sure you scale the wods and you'll be fine

If you go all Paleo, the Arthiris might ease a little.
Look into nightshades, my own experience in aching joints and with arthirtis within the family, it have helped me.

and again welecome!
28/5.6/~150# DL: 419# BS: 330# Press: 155# "Mary" 16+2 "Angie" 15:29 "Murph" 34:15 "Fran" 3:42