CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-15-2009, 05:01 AM   #1
Carl Pawluk

Profile:
Breaks from Crossfit?

I'd been doing CF relatively strictly for almost a year when I got really fatigued and a couple of months ago, my WODs got really poor at best. My pull-ups got less and less and I just felt generally blah during the CF warm-up. So I took 2 1/2 weeks off and am back at it with more energy.

I love CF and strongly believe in it, but I'm curious if I should be taking more breaks of shorter duration or what? Do any of you take scheduled breaks or do most people stick to the 3 on 1 off and just deal with the fatigue when it sets in?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:09 AM   #2
Tom Seryak

Profile:
Re: Breaks from Crossfit?

carl,

most important thing is to get really in tune with what your body is telling you. if you feel like crap during a wod you have to ask yourself in no particular order:

1) how well did i recover from the prior workout?
2) how well did i sleep last night?
3) what is my stress level today?
4) how dialed in is my nutrition?

if you can't find the answer with any of those questions, it may be time to take an extended break. what is an extended break? imo, anywhere from 4 to 7-10 days depending on how long it has been since your prior break. i would recommend taking at least a 4 day break every 6-8 weeks of consistent training or 7-10 days break every 12-16 weeks of consistent training.

tom
Old 05-15-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Re: Breaks from Crossfit?

I believe it's commonly recommended to take a half-volume week every four weeks and then a week completely off about four times a year. Yes, you need more rest.

ETA: I wiped myself out badly enough with CF and other stressors to make taking the entire winter off training a good idea. Rest now or later, your choice.