CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-06-2009, 07:13 AM   #41
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Squat Depth

DOn't think about the bar, think about your body. But goes back, weight over the middle of the foot, thoracic and lordotic extension, head neutral position on the way down.

At the bottom, which is some where between hip crease below knees and you butt touching your shoes, stay tight, bounce off the muscles (stretch reflex) and drive up with your hips. Everything about position in the way down is still true on the way up.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #42
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Yeah, but what I was saying was that I was only able to achieve that form you mention when I just kind of went straight down with the bar. I tried every other method and my body wouldn't respond.

It's funny b/c according to my wife I do perfect squats when I do an air squat with my arms held out in front of me.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #43
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Fonseca View Post
Please show us where Rippetoe claimed that he invented this radical new squat technique. He actually states in his book that none of the information he presents is new. I'm guessing that you haven't read the book, since you state that the "knees do not travel forward" in a low bar squat. As I stated before, the "starting strength squat" (you called it that, I was just quoting you) is just a plain old, regular low bar squat, which has been done for decades. Rip learned it from someone else. Not all powerlifters squat sumo style. They do have to break the point where the hip crease is parallel with the patella. Starting Strength is only ~4 years old anyway. How do you think people squatted before this?
That's a pretty sound argument. I guess I can't refute that...

Why does the burden of proof lie with me? How about you find me something older than ~4 years that describes Rip's squat style to a T. My guess is anything you find will have some minor variances in technique. So until then, I will stand by my original statement that Rip pooled all his knowledge and experience together and put everything down in writing and came up with what he believes his the perfect LBBS for developing Strength.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:54 AM   #44
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Yeah, but what I was saying was that I was only able to achieve that form you mention when I just kind of went straight down with the bar. I tried every other method and my body wouldn't respond.

It's funny b/c according to my wife I do perfect squats when I do an air squat with my arms held out in front of me.
Sounds like the problem might be with your balance. How are you in the overhead squat? I was taught to use the overhead squat to correct a balance problem in the squat. I was leaning too far forward and wasn't developing a feel for how to balance properly. Try the OHS with just an empty bar and to be aware of the pressure on the soles of your feet. With the bar overhead, it will be obvious if your balance is off. The bar should be directly over the middle of your foot, just in front of your ankles. Do this as a warmup for the squat. When you squat, pay attention to the pressure on the soles of your feet.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #45
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
That's a pretty sound argument. I guess I can't refute that...

Why does the burden of proof lie with me? How about you find me something older than ~4 years that describes Rip's squat style to a T. My guess is anything you find will have some minor variances in technique. So until then, I will stand by my original statement that Rip pooled all his knowledge and experience together and put everything down in writing and came up with what he believes his the perfect LBBS for developing Strength.
Rip's squat is based on his experience as a powerlifter. Virtually all powerlifters have learned to squat using the low bar squat. Many discovered it on their own. If you want a citation older than 4 years, find a copy of Fred Hatfield's, Powerlifting: A Scientific Approach, 1981. I doubt that it's still in print, but you can find used copies of it for US$6. He discusses the powerlifter's squat and the olympic squat (also known as the training squat or the high bar squat). The high bar squat is performed with a more erect torso than the low bar squat and puts more stress on the legs. That's why some people call it the training squat. The low bar squat recruits more muscles than the high bar squat; that's why it possible to lift more weight with the low bar squat than the high bar squat.

Can we kill this discussion and get on to something more productive?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #46
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Air Squat != weighted squat.

Do you own Starting Strength? If not, what are you doing to correct the situation?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #47
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Air Squat != weighted squat.

Do you own Starting Strength? If not, what are you doing to correct the situation?
I swear I don't learn well from books. And I'm not wanting to start an SS program.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:34 AM   #48
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
I swear I don't learn well from books. And I'm not wanting to start an SS program.
i don't want to start the SS program and i bought the book. it answers every question you have...and if you get the dvd that was just released, you don't have to "learn" from the book, you can use it as a reference
Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #49
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
i don't want to start the SS program and i bought the book. it answers every question you have...and if you get the dvd that was just released, you don't have to "learn" from the book, you can use it as a reference

A DVD? Is it up at amazon.com? I'll definitely have to check that out then.

I've tried books before and little videos online to learn form. It just hasn't worked in the past. What I need is someone standing there going "You need to do this." Because when I showed my wife proper form then told her to correct me until I looked like the guy in the photo she was easily able to correct me. Like I said, my last few sets she said were good form (maybe a bit of back curving when i got tired), but for the most part I kept the same form as in the pictures.

I need Rip in person......
Old 03-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #50
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
A DVD? Is it up at amazon.com? I'll definitely have to check that out then.
not on amazon yet, i don't think...i don't have the link handy. check ****************.com (presumably sfw, but with rip, you never know) or somebody after me will most likely post it