CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Ricky Norris

Profile:
Golf and Crossfit

Just got introduced to Crossfit and really enjoy it. I have been doing it throughout the winter and like everyone else, I am really enjoying the results.
My other "athletic" hobby is golf. Any thoughts on some of the better exercises to increase performance and prevent injuries when combining the two. Golf season is right around the corner and I would like to spend time doing both.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Joe Cavazos

Profile:
Re: Golf and CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Norris View Post
Just got introduced to CrossFit and really enjoy it. I have been doing it throughout the winter and like everyone else, I am really enjoying the results.
My other "athletic" hobby is golf. Any thoughts on some of the better exercises to increase performance and prevent injuries when combining the two. Golf season is right around the corner and I would like to spend time doing both.
Heavy Deadlifts and heavy Olympic Lifts. Be sure to include lots of post- (not pre-) workout stretching so your new strength doesn't become unusable due to a decrease in flexibility (here's a wfs routine I would recommend).
Old 02-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
James Compora

Profile:
Re: Golf and Crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Norris View Post
Just got introduced to Crossfit and really enjoy it. I have been doing it throughout the winter and like everyone else, I am really enjoying the results.
i am also a golfer, go about everyday when the weather allows. as im sure you know, the most important part of golf is flexibility. So just make sure you maintain or work on it more than you used to. If you have a partner or wife or girlfriend or whatever, look into PNF stretching. its simply amazing. Other than that just do xfit, there is really nothing more to golf to prevent injuries other than flexibility / stretching
Old 02-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Old 02-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
Sara Fleming

Profile:

I think its definitely added something to my game although I still suck at it.

However, there's a planned for lack of torque power in Crossfit as well as torsional flexibility. (Non-specificity of sport)

Therefore, to train for golf and motherhood (trust me, there's a lot of bending over and twisting), I add medicine ball reverse wood-choppers to my met-cons and Russian twists to my dynamic warm ups. That has been plenty helpful.

Adding PNF stretches for my hamstrings and low back on the course before playing and a few dynamic stretches throughout play makes a world of difference. You can do those with just a strap or a towel, or just use the Uttanassana pose.

I actually expounded on these stretches a bit in this post (WFS) http://board.crossfit.com/showpost.p...31&postcount=7 and this post (WFS) http://board.crossfit.com/showpost.p...40&postcount=9.

Have fun!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Heavy lifting will do it.

IMO you don't need any specific rotational work. There's a couple threads on this if you wanna check them out (search for them).
Old 02-28-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
Sara Fleming

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Heavy lifting will do it.

IMO you don't need any specific rotational work. There's a couple threads on this if you wanna check them out (search for them).
I'm going to disagree about the rotational work. If you can increase your range of motion, you are going to be able to increase your power. A lot of guys can increase their power a great deal by increasing their ability to increase that rotational range of motion around their spine.

Rotational work, both in dynamic warmups and metcon work will train the muscle memory and the muscle endurance. Golf is a power sport whether people here will admit that or not. 18 holes, 3-5 strokes per hole, that's a lot of strokes, and when you need accuracy on each hole with maximum power, you need muscle endurance using that similar motion. But, I'm a skinny girl who can barely backsquat her bodyweight.

From my experience, reverse woodchoppers with the medicine ball are a lot more relevant to the golf swing than power cleans. I do both. Maybe it doesn't effect you young strong men as much, but I train older men and that's the kind of training I do with them for endurance in their golf games and every day life. I have them do KB swings and SDHP, but they need the flexibility training a lot more as their shoulders and spines tend to sieze up a bit after the age of fifty.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
John C. Brown

Profile:

I am going to agree with Steve here. It is pretty well documented that vertical power translates to rotational strength through out the exercise science community. That being said, what is golf? It is a closing and then opening of the hip. Period. How do we train for that? By developing capacity in hip extension and making sure that we can stabilize our mid line so the power expressed in hip extension isn't attenuated through sloppiness in the middle. So, Deadlift, Overhead Squat and all of the Oly lifts. Anecdotally, I have added dramatic improvement to my accuracy through this method. I drive the ball about 310 on average. To get that distance I used to have to really swing away, like 95%. Now I swing about 70-80% off of the tee and because I am in more control and using the hips more efficiently I keep my distance and gain accuracy. The oly lifts also help a ton with coordination and timing, both necessary aspects of the golf swing.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
Nick Hanson

Profile:

As someone who has been as low as a 5 handicap (good but not great) I would also agree with steven. Although in golf you are rotating around your center of gravity, its actually the clearing of the hips that produces 90% of the power in golf (as in every other sport). Therefore the person that has the ability to produce the greatest amount of speed from the hips, coupled with technique is going to hit the ball farthest. What that sounds like to me is that golfers should be doing Olifts, speed squats, and probably just regular crossfit. The only thing I would add is extra stretching that would be in response to the soreness that crossfit inflicts.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
Sara Fleming

Profile:

Well, again, as I stated above, maybe it doesn't affect you young strong men as much, but when you work with older folks for whom range of motion of the shoulder and the hip have become an issue, regular rotational training is of some benefit in my experience. As is flexibility training of the hamstring and low back.

If you can regularly do heavy Olympic lifts, you generally don't have these problems. I'm sure we can agree on that point.