CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #21
David Ryan Thomas

Profile:
Re: My Best Bench Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Noble View Post
It's very strong and unless you are actually on the platform nobody should really care whether it would pass in a meet.
Thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #22
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Who or what is "ding"?
I actually just noticed that before I saw your comment. It was meant to be "doing."

And yes, I was referring to Rip recommending the use of the stretch reflex--not bouncing the bar off of the rib cage--in my earlier post.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #23
James Withington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Don't worry David. I think some of these guys are just jealous. You had to know you were going to catch some backdraft posting a thread about bench pressing on this forum.
I can't speak for anyone else who commented on the thread, but for what it's worth I can assure you that my comment had nothing to do with jealousy. It was out of concern for the guys health and safety, and wanting to see good lifting practiced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ryan Thomas View Post
It is not hammering my rig cage. It really is controlled, I just don't pause at the bottom. At the bottom of the lift I just let the bar sink alittle but its not really a bounce. Thanks for all the comments good and bad, I really do appreciate them all.
See, I'm really not so sure that it's controlled. The bar went down quickly, and there seemed to be no deceleration of the barbell before it reached your chest, and there seemed to be a rebound of at least 2-3 inches from your chest before you really had to start pushing. Your ribcage was most definitely used to slow the barbell down and to begin the acceleration. It might feel safe, but any bounce off your chest like that is ill-advised.

Could you have completed the lift without the bounce from your chest? From what I see on the video I doubt it. Both from a 'competition' point of view, and from a more general strength and health perspective, there is nothing to be gained from using such heavy weight and having to bounce the weight up like that. As I said in my earlier post, it would be far more impressive and far more beneficial in terms of building your upper-body strength if you were to bench slightly less but controlled the barbell throughout, particularly on the eccentric phase of the lift.

I can squat s***loads of weight if I don't go down to parallel, but does it do me any good? Bad form is bad form. Lifting a heavier weight but with poor form doesn't benefit anyone in the long run, whether it's bench, squat, deads etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Noble
It's very strong and unless you are actually on the platform nobody should really care whether it would pass in a meet.
Would you say the same thing about squatting above parallel or deadlifting with a rounded back? Good form standards are there for a reason, and you should always seek to apply those standards to your lifting.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #24
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Withington View Post
I can't speak for anyone else who commented on the thread, but for what it's worth I can assure you that my comment had nothing to do with jealousy. It was out of concern for the guys health and safety, and wanting to see good lifting practiced.

See, I'm really not so sure that it's controlled. The bar went down quickly, and there seemed to be no deceleration of the barbell before it reached your chest, and there seemed to be a rebound of at least 2-3 inches from your chest before you really had to start pushing. Your ribcage was most definitely used to slow the barbell down and to begin the acceleration. It might feel safe, but any bounce off your chest like that is ill-advised.

Could you have completed the lift without the bounce from your chest? From what I see on the video I doubt it. Both from a 'competition' point of view, and from a more general strength and health perspective, there is nothing to be gained from using such heavy weight and having to bounce the weight up like that. As I said in my earlier post, it would be far more impressive and far more beneficial in terms of building your upper-body strength if you were to bench slightly less but controlled the barbell throughout, particularly on the eccentric phase of the lift.

I can squat s***loads of weight if I don't go down to parallel, but does it do me any good? Bad form is bad form. Lifting a heavier weight but with poor form doesn't benefit anyone in the long run, whether it's bench, squat, deads etc.

Would you say the same thing about squatting above parallel or deadlifting with a rounded back? Good form standards are there for a reason, and you should always seek to apply those standards to your lifting.
I donno man, there's definitely deacceleration going on there. That bar didn't exactly fly down. Looked under control to me. Didn't see much bounce either. It's a great lift period.

Last edited by Tim Luby : 12-05-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #25
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Man, nice bench strength. I'm very jealous. What's the history that got you so strong on bench?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #26
David Ryan Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
Man, nice bench strength. I'm very jealous. What's the history that got you so strong on bench?
I've always been fairly strong at it naturally. I did a couple of Bench workouts in college that focused on bench and neglected everything else, but my bench did go up. SS has help a bunch never thought it would have gotten me back there this soon. I used to do alot of Close Grip Bench and Floor Presses too.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #27
Charles Whitworth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ryan Thomas View Post
I've always been fairly strong at it naturally. I did a couple of Bench workouts in college that focused on bench and neglected everything else, but my bench did go up. SS has help a bunch never thought it would have gotten me back there this soon. I used to do alot of Close Grip Bench and Floor Presses too.
David great bench! That said, I bet you could very easily do 415+ at a PL meet wearing a shirt. For those who dont know and want to hate on this lift, citing PL meets as the standard, shirts add about 30-50 lbs to a bench. So when someone says RAW like his lift, that is without a shirt and very damn impressive. Additionally, shirts help tremendously in the bottom position.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #28
Ben Chapman

Profile:

Wow, I'm jealous. I'm a crossfitter, but I still like messing with the bench press every now and then. I'd worked myself to 305 when I was lifting prior to crossfit, that is where my bench stands now as well. I'm curious, how tall are you? I am developing this theory that guys taller than about 6'2" with longer arms have more trouble with the bench. I'm a fairly large guy and have some friends who are smaller putting up way more on the bench, without a whole lot more lifting than I do.

I have some shoulder problems whenever I bench and haven't been hitting it hard lately. Same problems with going overhead, my right shoulder always has a stitch in it.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #29
Ben Chapman

Profile:

FWIW, I don't think it was bounced off the chest, it was going a little fast at the bottom, but it was stopped with the arms, not by hitting the chest, it did touch though, which I believe is required to be a good lift. I thought it was pretty legit.

I also don't think anyone has much room to say anything until they are putting up a similar load.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #30
Zac Jereb

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Whitworth View Post
For those who dont know and want to hate on this lift, citing PL meets as the standard, shirts add about 30-50 lbs to a bench.
'Cept when they add 300+ lbs (Mendelson & Kennelly).