CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #41
Brad Thompson

Profile:
Re: 100yd Swim Time Guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack W Haire View Post
Bring a set of dumb bells, a mat to lie down on for sit ups, a dynamax ball or what ever you got to your local pool, YMCA, etc...CF and swimming will provide variety to your swim workouts. Mix it up, change strokes, swim under water, jump out of the pool and do some CF - repeat...It beats chasing that painted line on the bottom for hour after hour.
I learned about the mat the hard way! Thanks to my 2 year old's butt cream I am getting over it.

I did Michael at the pool - wet skin on the deck blisters very easily
Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #42
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D'souza View Post
Just curious: Does body composition have anything to do with swimming performance? No disrespect but if I gained a few pounds of body fat will it help my buoyancy? Are there specific body types that would make for a better swimmer?

I am 205lbs at 6'1, and I swear the lady I swim with - well she swims on top of the water compared to me - like she is floating, but then again she swam at college and I have already picked her brains.
Body fat will help your bouyancy, but added weight and mass will not help you pull your fat arse through the water any quicker. If you really want to swim faster, lose about 30lbs....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Mick
For Mens Swimmers
Elite: <50
Advanced: 50-55
Intermediate: 55-1:05
Beginner: >1:05
As far as general standards for men's competitive swimming go, I think the OP's times were fine. For what you would define as "elite", etc. in terms for CrossFitters, I think I would probably adjust them to something like the following (Men, 25yd pool):
Elite: <54
Advanced: <1:00
Intermediate: 1:00-1:30
Beginner: >1:30
Old 05-23-2008, 01:00 AM   #43
Daniel Mick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Bachmann View Post
As far as general standards for men's competitive swimming go, I think the OP's times were fine. For what you would define as "elite", etc. in terms for CrossFitters, I think I would probably adjust them to something like the following (Men, 25yd pool):
Elite: <54
Advanced: <1:00
Intermediate: 1:00-1:30
Beginner: >1:30
I think those are good guesses for a fit person with swimming experience.
The one's I originally listed are for fit competitive swimmers. So I think we have three good sets of times to go by now: Joe Schmoe, Fit Joe, and Joe Fish.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:02 PM   #44
Daniel Washburn

Profile:

Robert,

My 1.5K is in the 25-27 minute range (in the pool). It was around 40 the 1st time I attempted one prior to reading TI. Seriously get that book, especially for Triathlons. I'm swimming as fast as or faster than 80% of the field, while using 1/3 of the strokes as them. Less strokes, less energy.

Swim downhill, swim on your side, lean on your chest. Your legs will pop right up and you'll be cruising.

Much more experienced multi-sport athletes have said that the swim is about efficiency, rather than speed. Increased speed will come through a better stroke. And in terms of Swim/Bike/Run, the swim portion just get's you to your bike. Faster transitions, strong bike and run will have you blowing those 23 minute swimmers away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D'souza View Post
Daniel,

Thanks for the heads up. Makes me happy to know people like you around.

Wow! Saving 12 mins on 1.5k is impressive. Congrats! What is your time? I am pushing 27 mins - I believe average Tri time is about 23. My 1k is about 23 mins.

Everything is self taught and most of it is reading and watching. I have had a few people watch and comment but that is all about it. I am tempted to give TI another look. It is not cheap though.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #45
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

I agree - Total Immersion is a GREAT book. He does a fantastic job reverse engineering what good swimmers do instinctively. There are plenty of books, like Swimming Faster (and subsequent editions) that break stroke technique down in great detail, but NONE of them are as easy to read and apply for beginner and intermediate swimmers as Total Immersion.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #46
Daniel Mick

Profile:

You've got me all interested in TI. Maybe I'll check it out sometime!

A triathalon of some sort will be a goal of mine once I return to the US. Thanks for more inspiration from you guys.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:24 AM   #47
Daniel Washburn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Mick View Post
A triathalon of some sort will be a goal of mine once I return to the US. Thanks for more inspiration from you guys.
Daniel, I would strongly urge you NOT to consider doing triathlons...Ever! They consume your life, give you an excuse to get all this new really cool gear (bikes, shoes, more shoes, helmets, hats, suits, aerodynamic dual hydrational composite forged something-or-others), are ultra-fun and very addictive. Not to mention just flat out awesome. Stay away.

/sarcasm
Old 05-29-2008, 07:38 AM   #48
Daniel Mick

Profile:

You're right, I will steer well clear. My roommate in college, on a whim as his first try ever, got 2nd in his age group in an Olympic distance. He also dropped $2,000 on his feather-light racing bike. A devastating and uninspiring tale of woe.