CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Scott Spencer

Profile:
I'm slow! How to get faster

I was noticing while doing the "quater gone bad" workout that my cycle time for exercises are slow. For example Burpees. I was only getting 5-6 in 15 seconds. Others were getting 8-10.

I'm not weak or out of shape Metcon wise. I can do most of the workouts as Rx'ed. My fran time is 8 min. I take minimal rest while doing it. I rest on the chins actually. But i think i need to improve my speed.

How do i do it? How do i make my thruster faster? My burpee? Any suggestions?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:
Re: I'm slow! How to get faster

This may sound dumb, but the only way to do it faster is to do it faster. Obviously, to get your Fran time down you are going to need to eliminate your rests. Beyond that, you just need to be willing to push your body to the limit. I think it's OPT who has a T-shirt for his affiliate that says something about learning to "become comfortable with the uncomfortable". I remember a recent video with Coach where he says that to increase your level of intensity you have to be willing to push yourself to the point where form begins to break down. When you do Quarter Gone Bad are you trying to do every rep with perfect form. If you are, you aren't pushing your body to it's maximum capacity. Personally, I believe perfect form is for warm-ups and ME workouts. When it comes time to hit the metcons, just go balls to the wall. Don't think about what you're doing and the form of each rep; just do it. Bang it out. If your form sucks, fine. Fix it with some GTG or on a ME day, and do it better bext time.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Dave Hancock

Profile:

How much weight are you using in the thrusters? 135 lbs?

What ever weight you use, is it a weight that you are able to strict press it, not during qgb but at any time. If its not an easy weight to press overhead for you, thats a limiting factor on your speed.

Last edited by Dave Hancock : 04-15-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
Daniel Gilliam

Profile:

Burpees are a naturally slow exercise. The higher you jump the more time it will take you to fall back to earth. To me, the only aspect of a burpee you can control (for speed) is the motion to the pushup, the pushup, and back to the squat position. You can explode upwards, but you still have that "hang time."
Old 04-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

You can decrease the cycle time of your Thruster by pulling the bar down from the top of the rep instead of letting it fall, and by going into the Front Squat before the bar comes down on your shoulders, essentially catching it while you are on your way down.

You can make your Burpee faster by applying the same principle of overlapping segments. Kick your feet into the push-up position before your hands are on the ground so you fall into the bottom of the push-up. Then kick your feet into the jumping position while you're heading up from the push-up. Jump from the bottom of the squat instead of standing up and then jumping. Rinse, repeat.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gilliam View Post
Burpees are a naturally slow exercise. The higher you jump the more time it will take you to fall back to earth. To me, the only aspect of a burpee you can control (for speed) is the motion to the pushup, the pushup, and back to the squat position. You can explode upwards, but you still have that "hang time."
Exactly! People who "claim" to be getting 8-10 burpees are either selling themselves short by jumping just a few inches off the ground or not jumping at all. Hell, I averaged 7 during the "quarter gone bad" and 8-9 during a 20 second tabata interval and I'm flying through them.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Scott Spencer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Anderson View Post
Exactly! People who "claim" to be getting 8-10 burpees are either selling themselves short by jumping just a few inches off the ground or not jumping at all. Hell, I averaged 7 during the "quarter gone bad" and 8-9 during a 20 second tabata interval and I'm flying through them.
i felt like i was flying and only got 5-6!

Also, my height could be a factor. I'm 6'2 with long legs and arms. If someone is 5'9 they have a less space to travel.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
Skylar Cook

Profile:

SOME of us can't even DO 1/4FGB. Damn 135# thrusters slay me. Had to use 115. REALLY ****ed me off (I was hoping SS would cure my thruster disorder, but apparently I need to train the **** out of my FS and transition). Lame!

Sorry, had to vent.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:45 AM   #9
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Spencer View Post
i felt like i was flying and only got 5-6!

Also, my height could be a factor. I'm 6'2 with long legs and arms. If someone is 5'9 they have a less space to travel.
Somewhat true. I actually happen to be 5'9" 160lbs and do not have the long limbs and have less space to travel. I'm also lighter and can throw my bodyweight around with a little more ease than a bigger guy, but how is your burpee technique? As I stated, the higher you jump, the longer it will take for you to come back to the ground. Upon hitting the ground though, the goal (IMO) is to squat as quickly as you can, place your hands on the ground and kick your legs back almost simultaneously as quickly as you can and then spring your body back into the frog-like squat position again positioning yourself for the next jump.

Someone mentioned that burpees are supposed to be slow, not true, burpees are supposed to be fast, intense and taxing on the body. When transitioning from the full push-up position part of the burpee, the goal is to bring your body from the horizontal plane (parallel with the ground) to a vertical plane by getting your feet directly underneath your hips by "flipping" up into the squat position for the next jump. I believe there are some videos on here somewhere showing this movement. Also, rosstraining.com has a good article on "burpee conditioning" and some great demo videos. I think you will find that the way he does his burpees is by no means slow.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Sean Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar Cook View Post
SOME of us can't even DO 1/4FGB. Damn 135# thrusters slay me. Had to use 115. REALLY ****ed me off (I was hoping SS would cure my thruster disorder, but apparently I need to train the **** out of my FS and transition). Lame!

Sorry, had to vent.
I feel your pain! I'm in the same boat exactly (even finished a SS cycle a month ago).